Risk Management Alternatives!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Sep 25, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Back in May, I paid a college $80 owed for fees. However, they had sent it to collection within two weeks of owing it. They called the agency in my presence and told them to cease efforts.

But in June, they pulled a collection inquiry on EQ. Every month, they send me a bill for $500 - even though the college and I keep telling them nothing is owed. I wrote 2 letters. I left four messages. I PFed them. IGNORED! Response? More of the same collection letters!!!!!

I got another letter today and called the man, who rudely told me he didn't have time for me and to call back. He then left a message claiming none of us ever contacted them and that I still owe money in their book and they're going to report me very soon if I don't pay $500.

Now the last damn thing I need is a false collections report. This will kill my credit and likely end the livelihood of my decent non sub-prime/secured credit. I just do not know what else to DO!!!!!!!!!!

I know if I write another letter, they'll claim I did not though I have return receipts.

I know if I call, I'll be ignored and get letters saying I won't respond to them.

Ideas on dealing with these nuts?

Steph

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar boat w/ this idiots over some bogus MCI Telecommunications account. Do a search under "RMA" or "Risk Management Alternatives" and you'll see my posts.

I sent them 2 or possibly 3 validation letters via Fed/Ex AND I faxed them copies of my letters. Then one day I called and they stated that they were sending my account BACK to MCI since they don't deal w/ validating a debt. I was told that the entry on my report would be deleted. I'M STILL WAITING!!!!! It's currently under dispute (only listed on Equifax) for the umpteenth time! I dispute it on-line.....it comes back verified.....I use that report number to start ANOTHER investigation. I can't even tell you how many times I've disputed this. I've even disputed it via letter AND via phone. I don't care......maybe Equifax will get the hint this time!

3. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Them and MedClr are Satan in my book!

MedClr is getting sued this week! I'm not even going into them right now. They committed fraud pure and simple and I will seek deletion and damages.

RMA is about to get the same if they DARE f** with my improving credit. I have too many lawyers on my side that I can use for free/cheap and I'm not playing nice anymore!

Steph

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I'd say it's high time to sue them.

Seems to me that the problem is that neither of you understand that they don't have a choice and must validate and do so within 30 days after provable receipt of letter demanding validation.
    Their refusal to do so constitues a solid violation of FDCPA and it makes no difference if they sent it back to MCI or not. They still have to validate or are liable to you for damages up to the full amount allowed by law in your state for a small claims court case.

They have no choice but to pay up now.
    So go sue them and quit fiddling with them.
    You very proveably have a solid case against them

5. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Get a letter from the college showing paid in full. Next, file a complaint with the state banking department or whoever handles the overseeing of collection agencies in your area. Send a copy of the letter with your complaint. Then send a copy of the complaint and the letter to the collection agency with a cease and desist letter. Tell them this is proof it was paid and if they continue to harass you or if they report it, you will file a lawsuit in addition to your complaint with the banking dep't.

6. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Wow. All these posts showed up as I was typing mine.

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

This is why the flaw in the law needs urgently changed!
    ==============================

8. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, these bastages have been poking around my credit in the past, but hmm.....no listing on my credit by them...I was just wondering what the hell they think they are doing...

9. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Chele-Chelle:

are they pulling inquiries? Do you mind me asking what they are showing up as code wise? REA, ERM,etc.? I ask because they have been doing inquiries on me every other month. Jerks.

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Last inquiry they put on my report said:

REA - Risk Management Alternatives

Still trying to figure out what REA means....

11. bbauer

bbauer Banned

RMA means REAL MEAN A**H***S
    REA means REAL ENERGETIC A**h***S
    LOL

12. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Collection Agencies pull your credit report usually to obtain your current contact information, or to check and see if the item they are collecting for already has an entry on your report or not..

jmart

13. chelechele

Um, I have to check...hold on BRB

14. chelechele

OK..I swear that this was on my equifax last month. My NEW Equifax doesn't have it. I will have to wait until I get home to look at my old hardcopy. That is strange..