Risk Management Alternatives

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Anybody heard of these people? They are out of N. Augusta, SC and they sent me a collection letter on behalf of MCI Telecommunications Corp for $170. I have no clue what this is in regards to. At the bottom of the letter (along w/ other stuff) it says: Date Owed 09/22/96.

I have no clue what this is in reference to at all. I wonder if the SOL has ran out on this? I'm in CA.

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Re: Risk Management Alternativ

never heard of them. the SOL in CA is 4 years from date of delinquency.

3. Cadillac408

Right! I just looked that up and saw that.......so now what? I already prepared a validation letter but haven't mailed it. Should I send a different letter instead stating that the SOL is up and I'm not paying a penny?

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

since the SOL has expired, why not just send them a cease and desist letter? doesn't matter if the debt is valid.

5. Cadillac408

well, at the bottom of the letter it states that if I don't respond w/in 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt, they will put this entry on my Equifax report.

If I send a C&D letter, can they still put this on my report?

I'm just worried about my REPORT!!!!!!!! I've come to far to have some b.s. like this added on there.

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

SEND THE VALIDATION!
    You have come way too far for them to put anything new on your report.
    I can assure you, collection agencies rarely see letters like these! Send them now, certified rr. You know the drill.
    Hammer them!

I think I would add (since they specifically addressed the Equifax issue) that if they put this on your Equifax you will absolutely hold them accountable not only under FCRA, FDCPA but also you are NOW giving them notice that it is not your debt and if they KNOWINGLY put erroneous, disputed items on your report You will hold them accountable for willful, wanton, and blatantly recklessly harming your credit yaddayaddayadda. LET THEM KNOW on this first letter that, since you ARE responding w/in the 30 days, that if they Dare just add it onto your report (odds are they will once you're in their computer system) that you will hold them accountable.

BE VERY tough right from the start. You're lucky you're catching this now, not after it's on your report. :)
    Let us know how well it goes. You're well armed for this one.

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Marie is correct. Send a validation letter.

Also let them know:

1. They will be served court papers as soon as they report anything the bureaus.
    2. Your letter does not imply that a debt exists, or a waiver of any SOL rights.

Saar

8. KelTex

KelTex Guest

I had the exact same thing happen to me with these people.

Got a notice from them in October for an alleged MCI account that I owed from 1997.

They had already put it on my Equifax-inserted it and then didn't bother to send me anything until eight months later-do you have a recent copy of yours? I would definitely send the letter mentioned above specifying the issue of insertion while disputing if it isn't on there.

I requested validation. They sent me a Word-generated printout on an account I had with them prior to moving. I pulled a copy of a check that I had written for this amount, with difference of about 1.42$ from the amount that RMA said that I owed.

I then C&D RMA and went directly to MCI-there is a company that does their disputes called A&R in Earth City Missouri. I sent copies of everything to them requesting investigation of failure to credit payment. I haven't heard anything from them (A&R) despite now TWO requests.

MCI has a BAD rep for doing stuff like this-search the web and you will find LOTS of examples of this. They appear to be very disorganized. I have called on several times, and they always refer me back to RMA. I am kind of at a loss right now as for what to do; but my SOL here in Texas will expire for this in Oct this year.

Good luck.

9. Cadillac408

Risk Management Alternative

I sent the validation letter via Fed/Ex today. I hope we can get this resolved. I did a search on this board for these people and someone claimed that they send these people validation and they ignored them????

10. Cadillac408