Roni...Associates Secured....N

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey,

I have the Washington Mutual secured card through the Associates of Delaware. I have had the card since Sept. 2000 and I noticed that they ran a credit check from Experian (I think? Can't remember....and I mailed my reports to Junum). Well, I have yet to see them appear on any of my reports. If I remember correctly, you had a secured card from them (the Associates) right? And you stated that they still managed to hit your report (cause you canceled before the card was issues?)???? Is this right????

I need some positive stuff on my report and if they are going to report, I was thinking about canning them and rollin with Chase secured. I've heard good things about them from the boards and from customer serive. I called them today and the guy was VERY informative! No b.s....no dog and pony show! All facts.....and he stated that after 18 months of on time payments, etc. that you will be converted to a regular card and your funds returned. Humm....but then on the other hand, I was under the impression that in the long run that my Washington Mutual secured card would eventually turn into a Citibank card (due to them aquiring the Associates National Bank). Is this still so? I really don't want 2 Citibank cards...Someone please advise....

Thanks!

MP$40

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Roni...Associates Secured.

Yes, I had associates $300 CD secured card. But it was a JCpenney Visa which they no long carry. But that shouldnot make a difference. The card is on my experian report even now. I called an cancelled it, but they still sent out the card and it made my report with the cancelled status. They have a Associates or something like that on my report, not washington mututal. The account recently was dropped off experian when I closed my FCNB. The dummies listed it 3 times closed. So I guess they tripled entered and deleted Associates. They are so dumb. Anyway, they reported my card. What made it stand out is that they listed the status as unknown, I guess cause I opened and closed it so fast. Hope this helps. I would just call them. There maybe a small chance they dont report the reg. WM card or this is a new policy. If they dont report cancel and get your money back like I did.

roni.

3. Cadillac408

Cool.......thanks for the info. Like I mentioned, I might have to roll w/ Chase. I might as well join the fan club somehow! ;-D

Plus *Michael* had good things to say about them also. Then that would mean that I have all Prime cards in my wallet except for Providian Gold which I conveniently hide behind my Citibank card! :-o When I use it, I always hand it to the clerk face down! LoL....

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I am hoping to get the chase gold. As you know, i admited to you I applied. Too chicken to tell MOM. Once this judgement thing is cleared for you, you should just apply for another citi and chase card unsecured. At least you know they are opening the doors. Beats waiting 7 years just to get firstUSA. And Yes, I love my citi platinum like it is million dollar bill.
    lol. I put that sucker down like I am Jackie O. Lol. Silly, but It beats the hell out of my green cap1 or blue providian classic.

roni.

5. Cadillac408

LOL!!!!

Jackie O!!!!! I'm dying....that was good. I feel ya though. You should see me when I pull out my Gold Am/Ex (AU...HA!!!). I took my group out to lunch for a going away party for a co-worker and when the tab came, I busted it out like I was Ivana Trump or something. Jaws dropped and people were like, WHAT?? I was cracking up...then my boss had to show me up and pull out his Am/Ex Platinum cash back card! He was like, oh...I have one of those...well sorta...mine is Platinum....all innocent like! I did like Michael Jackson and back slid on outta there!

Maybe you're right??? I'll just chill and see what June brings me. Still no inquiries for me. Nope! None! Still on the wagon and plan to stay there for a while (have to). Then the next move I'll make is to solicite Citibank for a measily $200 increase so I can upgrade to Platinum. Then I'll try for Chase (classic of course.....hey...it looks like Platinum a little bit??).

First USA????? Please.....don't even go there! Their new motto is: We came, we raped, we conquered.....and got away with it!

6. LadyC

LadyC Well-Known Member

RE: Chase secured

Hi MP,

I don't know anything about the secured card from The Associates, but I do have a Chase secured card. It's the Walmart card. I've had it for a year with no problems. I opened it with 700 and last month I sent in another 1800,so now my limit is 2500. Anyway that's besides the point. I was speaking with a rep about my account being unsecured in 18 months and he told me that as long as everything is cool, they will definately unsecure after 18 months, but it will stay at the same limit, and it won't be increased. He told me if I wanted a higher limit, that I could close that account and apply for another. I don't like that, but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about. Overall they seem ok.

7. Cadillac408

Humm....interesting LadyC. Thanks for the imput. I wonder if I could send in a low deposit at first and then the last say 6 months of the 18 month term, send in an additional whatever thousand to total $5k. Would they unsecure me and send back my $5k and keep my limit at $5K? I really just want 1 Visa or MC with a $5k limit that's not the Providian Gold (at the rate they give out increases). That is all I want and all I need realisticly. Not trying to slam everyone with high limits but what the hell am I going to do with at $10k card? Nothing but get in trouble! Been there and done that....courtesy of FUSA!

By the way....how is it reported on your reports? On all 3?

8. Killer

Killer Guest

Lady,

How did you apply for secured Wal-Mart from Chase? I have never see an application. By phone? Internet?

9. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I had an Associates secured card. The customer service was ok, but nothing to write home about. They did report to all three bureaus, but they reported my card as secured.

10. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Killer, if I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen the applications in the Wal-mart stores.

11. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Associates Secured....Need

Don't know about their secured card, but I have the Associates student Visa card.

They seem to move in a positive direction, just like Providian: No more delayed payment posts, no more rude CS reps. They report the card and the TRUE credit limit to the bureaus. They offer online access and now you can even pay your bill online. Seems Citi has made them a better compnay to work with.

My card has no annual fee, and 18.99% APR, which is not bad for a 3% cash rebate card. Even the Amex Platinum Cash Rebate has a higher APR (19.49%).

On the down side, they are stingy with credit limits and increases. They have no Retention department, so the "I'm gonna close my account" tactic won't work.

Saar

12. Saar

Saar Banned

I think the online access is currently limited to the student cards. You'll have to check with them.

Saar

13. Carrot

Carrot Guest

I'm embarrassed now!

Y'all are walking around like Jackie and Ivana and here I am with this dumb Providian Classic and bufugly Cap1 like a broke Lil Kim!

That's it--first of the year I'm dumping these suckers and getting a secured Chase and secured Amex to carry around in the Guess bag I got on clearance at TJ Maxx for $12. So what if they'll only have a $500 limit combined. Dammit, I want the appearance of good credit, even if I don't have it!

14. LadyC

LadyC Well-Known Member

RE: MP & Killer

The secured card reports monthly to all 3 bureaus. My hubby is an AU y account and they update his report whenever they fill like it. His TransUnion report hasn't been updated since 02/00 and it's showing up to date on his Equifax. But as far as my report, everything is accurate and on time. And they do report the limits. Also MP, my plan is to have my limit at 5000 when it's time to unsecure. But if I know Chase right, we need to have the limit at 5000 at least 6 months before the unsecure time. I wish I would have done that with mu secured Optima card, now I have a damn Optima Platinum with a hot funky 1000 limit. What's kind of !!@%is that?
    Also, they don't have Walmart secured mastercard applications in the store. I applied for the regular card online and it was declined, so they sent me a letter saying that I qualified for the secured Walmart, that's how I got it.

15. river

river Well-Known Member

RE: I'm embarrassed now!

Carrot,they say:fake it til you make it. And if we sub-primers stick together and encouage one another, we will graduate on and become mentors to the "next graduating class."We have some good mentors now and with their help and info,we will MAKE IT!!!Appearence goes along ways these days!!!!!Gosh, I didn't know I had a poet within me,Learn something new about yourself everyday,UH?LOL!!

16. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

OH RONI, you bad girl

Hmmm too chicken to tell me huh LOL. Sorry just reading up on post and I came across this one, thought it might slip by me?? Well it didn't LOL. Good luck and now you may resume the wgaon position:)

Mom

17. Cadillac408

Yes you are right...I tried to sign up and they said that it was in a test pilot stage for the student card only.

18. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Slow down Carrot.

I was stuck carrying the marble green cap 1 and "as seen on Tv" Providian classic. Aint that some dumb s**t. "My friends couldnt believe I got a credit card".LOL. I hated that commercial, until my Chase card came. Couldnot tell me nothing.

But seriously your time with come with the citi and chase. Work on getting some of the bad stuff paid or deleted and you will be up there with the imposter prime cards.

Keep the Faith! as Pat says.

roni

19. Carrot

Carrot Guest

RE: Slow down Carrot.

Ok, I'm taking a deep breath and trying to not undo all of the stress relief I got from last week's acupuncture...