Running out of time

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Twen0, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Twen0

Twen0 Active Member

I just recieved a letter from the law firm of Bowman, Heintz, Boscia & Vician stating that "A lump sum cash settlement of $1590.00 is acceptable to your creditor. Make payment directly to this office within 5 days. Failure to comply may result in legal action for collection of the full balance due." The letter states it is regarding Creditor: Midland Credit Management vs ME. What do I do? They do have an office in Chicago so they very well could take me to court (I live in the burbs). If I pay this settlement, I have no leverage with Midland forgetting it reported favorably on my credit report. Bowman & Heintz said they have nothing to do with my credit report, and Midland won't talk to me. They keep telling me that Bowman & Heintz are handling the acount. I'm at a loss. I've got Junum looking into my account and so far they've managed to get 7 items removed the first time around. But this one came back verified

2. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Don't know if it would work with them, but I just call them up and tell them that "I don't have a signed contract with them, only you. I will not do business with anyone other than you. As I am on the verge of bankruptcy, I want to TRY and pay off all my debts. If you are unwilling to work with me on this, I will need to file BK. Lets see what we can do..."; If it doesn't work, try it with the manager.
    That has worked for me once in the past (1 out of 1)...

Dustin

3. worried

worried Guest

How much did you owe to begin with?

4. Twen0

Twen0 Active Member

Original amount was $3180. Debt is being settled for half. I'm not trying to settle the debt because it's for half, I'm trying to settle it to improve my credit rating.

5. am

am Guest

If you do settle, get the offer in writing that it will NOT be reported as a settled account.....get them to remove all negative and have it either not listed or as a positive. I settled, thinking it was better than a charge off and it really didn't help me as it was reported as settled.
    good luck