Scam?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Aug 15, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this is a scam:

Someone called me this morning from the BankCard processing center and claimed I was approved for a Visa card. She verified my information and said she would send out the details.

Then they put me on the line with someone else who tried to get me some 1 month free voice mail, I'm not on the phone bill so I couldn't agree.

My caller ID gave an "out of area" reading and I'll have to look again for the customer service 800 number they gave me.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Steph

2. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Did you give them info they didn't already have? This always sounds fishy to me. The only people I let "verify information" are those I personally applied to and am expecting their call.

3. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I'm always suspicious of anyone that calls regarding a loan or a credit card approval. Last week I had someone call to upgrade my Shell gas card to one that had all these fancy benefits and such. I said no thanks.

When I had e-mailed several credit unions to inquire whether they report secured loan activity to the CRA's I received a phone call from one of the ones I contacted. All she said is this is so and so from the credit union and I need to obtain your SSN for the loan. That one really threw me and scared me. I had not yet applied for a loan and which credit union (she didn't identify the credit union she was with)? I figured it out and said I had not yet applied, I just wanted info.

Never give out info over the phone to anyone! If anything, have them send it in writing to you. Tell them you need to read the card terms and disclosures in order to make a decision to accept or decline their card. It is amazing what you will find out when you read the fine print.

4. author_22

No, they read me my name and address and I verified it as right. They didn't ask me for banking information, which always merits a quick hang up from me.

Steph

5. author_22

Oh I told her I would have to see the info before making any kind of commitment. She actually was nice but still......I'm a bit suspicious.

Steph