Sears card invitation

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, May 7, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Hi all, I recently got this in the mail and I was wondering if this is a real pre-approval? The form only requires me to enter my name and ss# to accept the "invitation." Does anyone know if Sears will do a hard inquiry or will it be soft? I already have a bunch of inquiries so I don't need another hard one.

Thanks.

2. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

steve,
    I got a pre-approval like you described back in 99. It generated a hard inquiry then (I did get the card, though).

3. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Right-hard inquiry but got the card

4. MikeB

MikeB Banned

"Preapproved" simply means you are on a mailing list. How would they know you have good credit until they pull your credit file by getting your S.S.N.? From experience, "preapproved" means you are preapproved to apply for a card (like everyone else can). Sometimes preapproved offers will have better credit terms than the standard terms. Most disclosures will state you are preapproved IF you meet their credit requirements. It is just misleading advertising that the credit card companies can get away with.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

This past Friday my "THIRTEEN" year old son received a preapproval from Sears for a credit limit up to 3K, had sticker with code, only asks for signature, social # and phone number. I called Sears and gave them a piece of my mind for trying to solicit a credit card to a thirteen year old child, the rep was rather speechless.

Mom

6. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

I received mine in the mail today

In the trash it goes. Sears interest rate is toooo high. Credit limit up to 4k....yeah right. I don't think so. Anyway, I rather shop at Nordstrom. But everyone knows I need a higher score than 579. :eek:)

Good Luck if you apply.

7. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

Re: I received mine in the mail today

Back to the same old Sears discussion....yes, the interest it too high if you charge stuff on a regular charge but is great if you use the interest free offers......there isn't a Nordstrom's around where I live...aren't they rather expensive just to shop at all the time? But then again, I think Penney's and Sears are too confident in their products--but I'm not a shopper so to speak.

AnnMarie

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: I received mine in the mail today

I charged my computer to my Sears card becuse they offer 0% interest financing for 12 monthsand no payments. By the way, I still paid them every month. Usually I don't use the card because it has no bonus and their interest rate is too high.

Ron.

9. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Re: Sears card

I think I'll accept the offer because of the 0% promotional offers and special sale discounts. I do need a department store card to increase my FICO score.