Sears cl prblem

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Jul 18, 2001.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

We opened a Sears Plus account for our refrigerator in Feb. 2001. When we made the purchase, they never told me that adding the extended warranty would put us over our credit limit, and that this situation would be bad for our credit. Not that I would really expect them to risk the sale of the warranty...

I now realize it is detrimental to our credit, the credit we are trying to improve by having this account, to be in this position. I called and told them I wanted my cl increased to match the amount I owe. I was transferred to Sears National Bank. Went through first clerk, then on to her supervisor. The supervisor is obviously trained in sales double talk. She kept bringing up irrelevant issues and nit picking to frustrate me. I have decided her title should be professional irritant, because that is what she is trained to do - irritate the account holder until they give up.

I tried to explain to these clerks that I have a perfect payment record with Sears, yet they are punishing me by damaging my credit score. They will pull a soft inquiry when it reaches 6 months old, and use the credit score they are damaging to decide whether or not to increase our cl!

I am not giving up, I ran out of time, but got the name of her supervisor (team leader). I am going to try him next, and as high up as I can go, then if I cannot get what I want, I am going to try Planetfeedback. I have read on this board that Sears is hard to work with. Any other suggestions?

I realize it could only make a couple points of difference, but that is not my point. I was uninformed and did not have the information to choose to be int his situation.

Besides, any point I can get is worth it to me.

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

can you give back the extended warranty? or how about cancelling it and getting a prorata portion of it back?

just a suggestion.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Can you go to the store quickly...I mean NOT ONE OR TWO HOURS DRIVE...

Take your receipt with you, ask for the manager in charge and explain what happened..I ASSUME you only need a couple hundred dollars...he can get on the phone and TELL THEM TO INCREASE THE CREDIT LINE...

YOU ALSO HAVE TWO OTHER CHOICES...

1) CANCEL THE ENTIRE SALE...YOU STILL KEEP THE ACCOUNT.
    2) PAY THE OVERAGE AT THE STORE TODAY...(IF THEY ARE STILL OPEN) OR TOMORROW...

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

OR AS ABOVE SOLUTION...refund the extended warrantee...

I think you can get it at a later date in the first year for the same guaranteed price.

5. OtherTerri

George,

Maybe I can try going to the store. It is close to my home.

When we made the purchase, we were told the store personnel have nothing to do with credit department.

But you are saying to ask for the store manager, not the appliance dept. manager,correct? You think that would be more effective than trying the credit people?

I want to keep the account, the fridge, and the warranty, I just want to make them raise my credit limit.

I would just go and pay the difference, but I am flat broke because my husband and I are going back to school this week and I paid money to DeVry that I really did not have to give them!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE STORE MANAGER can "KICK IT UP"...he/she can tell them that the sale rides on this increase...were not talking $30,000!!!

If it doesn't work, cancel the "EXTENDED WARRANTEE"...
    I still think you have one year...especially since this "EXTENDED WARRANTEE" does not start until the "MANUFACTURES WARRANTEE" expires...

7. IncomeHelp

IncomeHelp Well-Known Member

As a former Sears Manager (6 years ago) unless things have changed a lot, the Store Manager can have the credit line increased. However, the first thing I would do is cancel the extended warranty. The are simply a profit center for the store and are a waste of money for the customer. If you decide you want it later the same price will be in effect for 12 months.

John

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"EXTENDED WARRANTEES" are priced so they "COST" what a new refrigerator would cost in about 7-10 years...(also MOST "failures" happen within the first year)...

Wait, as both of said you have one year...IF THE MANAGER CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU...
    get a credit...SAVE THE RECEIPT AND RETURN AFTER 11.5 MONTHS...

9. OtherTerri

Thanks for the good ideas. I guess I was going about it all wrong by trying the credit people. I never would have thought to try the store manager.

I know the warranty is not supposed to be such a good thing, but I have a dryer that barely works, and starting being a problem when only 2 years old. Since I have no warranty, I am stuck. With a family of 8, that is not a good thing!

What are the chances that the store manager will even give a hoot?

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ASK HIM/HER to do it (FOR GEORGE) as a PROFESSIONAL COURTESY from one manager (not sears) to another...

11. OtherTerri

Thanks for permission to use your name George! I feel honored.

BTW, I like the caps. I need new glasses and cannot afford them right now.

I guess if I had a regular Sears card, I could get some glasses...

12. PuuOoPaul

PuuOoPaul Well-Known Member

Other Teri

I would talk to the manager. If he cannot or refuses to assist you I would tell him to come and get the refridgerator if it can still be returned. If you didn't get it on sale wait for a sale and then have them take it back and get a new one at the sale price.

I know it sounds like a pain but I would do it to make my point.

Good luck,
    PuuOoPaul