Sears Credit Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Jul 6, 2001.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

How hard is it to get a Sears Credit Card, and what kind of score do they consider people for the card at. I applied online for their card, and it told me I would know in 7-10 days. That was 3 days ago. I just got a card in the mail today and I was given a $500 credit limit. Odd!

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

eh go get your darn score and post it. Thats the info we need.

3. matty61184

Trans Union said 633, and the score from QSpace (Experian?) was 692. Does that help out a little?

4. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Sears National Bank has become very STRICT w/the acceptance & credit limit increases on their accounts;it is very hard to get them to approve line increases/new accounts lately.

I don't know what they factor in,but I recently cancelled their Premier card due to difficulties w/them & line increases(had card for over 10 yrs).

They are nothing in comparison w/the company that my father started his card with back in 1973.

Peace,
    Sister Girl

5. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Matty,

Aren't you still fairly young? I'm asking because over the last couple of days, I've seen posts from you regarding a number of CCs (i.e. GetSmart, Sears).

I don't know how many CCs you have but I DO suggest that you "pull up" on applying for so many cards. Just my 2 cents on that subject.

As for Sears, I don't really know what score you have to have....I know I had a foreclosure, 2 or 3 collections and 2 charge-offs, plus late pays on my Trans Union when they pulled it and I got a $2100 CL from them. (But I also had 2 years of excellent payment history)

So if your recent history is clean and you have a 633 (disregard QSpace) then you should be able to get a nice credit line.

6. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

In all fairness to Matty, I think his question was pretty specific to credit scores and Sears application criteria. I really liked what another poster here said when someone else tried to offer credit management advice:

As for your age, Matty, I think 17 is a terrific age to get started building a good credit rating. Lord knows, your car/mortgage payments will certainly benefit from the *8 years* of excellent credit history by the time you reach the old age of 25. Many people finish college, find jobs, reach their mid-20s, marry (and certainly not necessarily in that order or on any particular schedule), and THEN try to finance cars or homes -- and boy, do they pay for that. If only they'd started at 17 or 18.

Doc

7. matty61184

Yes, that's what I thought. I wanted to get a halfway decent car, so my parents co-signed a loan for me, and I make the payments. Then, I got a couple credit cards. Right now, I have 3 cards, the GetSmart, Sears, and Nextcard. I think I'll stay right there.

8. PsychDoc

You've got a great mix of credit accounts -- in fact, you're practically got the perfect mix for building your score as those accounts age. You've got:

-- installment account (your car loan)
    -- retail charge acount (your Sears card)
    -- 2 bank cards (your NextCard and GetSmart VISA cards)

The only thing you're missing is a traditional mortgage, LOL, but don't sweat that now. :)

Among the very few "secrets" we've gleaned from Fair, Isaac regarding credit scoring is this gem (my paraphrase, not theirs): A nice mix of credit account types results in scores higher than an excessively homogenous set of accounts (say, for example, ONLY bank cards, with no installment, no retail charge, and no mortgage). For that reason, you've either played it right on purpose or by accident. Either way, good going!

Doc

9. PsychDoc

TYPO alert: "account" and not "acount" but you knew that already. :)

10. jzilla

jzilla Well-Known Member

I just got mine in the mail today. $500 cl also. They turned me down in March. But my score has gone up about 22pts and I've had one deletion each from two of the CRA's. I was surprised because I got the processing message too. Didn't expect it at all.

11. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Oh Doc, I knew someone would bring that up and I DID answer his question.

However, seeing that Matty didn't say anything, guess I didn't see why you had to jump to the defense. Nonetheless, guess I had it coming.

12. PsychDoc

Shantel, I couldn't resist. (Ok, I could have resisted, but I'm in a playful smart### mood.) Now, I realize I've left myself wide open. What scares me is the realization that if YOU come after me for something I'll be one cooked goose -- you're smart AND informed -- so now I guess I'm ducking for cover... LOL!

Doc

13. matty61184

Why must we fight on here? If everyone would just show some respect to each other, everything would be fine. Let's try to act in a mature manner from now on, and answer one another in a respectful way.

14. PsychDoc

Matty, your mother Shantel and I aren't FIGHTING. We are DISCUSSING. :)

Doc

15. matty61184

I'm glad to hear that. By the way, she is NOT my mother.

16. PsychDoc

I know she's not your mom, and I know I'm not your dad, and I know you know that for goodness sakes. I was attempting a bit of levity. My mom and dad always used to say, "We're not fighting, honey, we're DISCUSSING." Invariably, that usually followed a solid hour of discord.

I'm sinking into quicksand of my own making here. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say on Saturday Night Live in the late 1970s (back when I was in high school), "Nevermind."

:)

Doc

17. matty61184

That's ok, I can understand where you are coming from. Afterall, a little bit of humor is good for all of us.

18. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, you definitely want Shantel on iyour side and not vice versa! LOL

breeze

19. matty61184

I don't want anyone on any side, I just hope everyone can get along. Maybe I took things a little bit too personally. I just think there's nothing wrong with humor, to a point.

20. PsychDoc

Don't worry, everyone gets along here pretty well, Matty!

Doc