Sears...something wierd

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jamie, Jan 20, 2001.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Has anyone had this happen?? My mother was contacted by Sears. She has had an account with them since 1978. Perfect credit, no negatives ever...They told her she was required to buy payment protection on her account. When she declined to do that, they told her that it was now their policy, and they closed her account. Whats up with that???????

2. mj

mj Well-Known Member

THat's illegal... insurance (payment protection is a quasi-insurance) sold by the creditor cannot be a requirement for the credit to be extended.

Sounds like someone was pushnig a little too hard to make their quota.

Call a supervisor.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

That is like "SLAMMING" for you long distance provider...they have quotas to make so they "LIE".

4. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

I thought this was very strange. Her account is closed now anyways. Besides, she felt that at her age 72, she only needed one major card and her Penneys Card for gift emergencies or sales. She closed all other cards. She can go to the CU anytime for cash or loans if necessary. She's had perfect credit her whole life.

5. Brandon

Brandon Guest

Sears actually hasn't been offering credit protection from quite some time. If you are currently signed up for the service it will continue but from what I have read they are no longer offering it to anybody who doesn't already have it. If she had their new Sears Gold MasterCard then there are companies out there that claim to be from your MasterCard company and tell you that if you do not sign up for their service you will be un protected. I would call the customer service on the Sears card and find out what is going on if I was her.