second card same bank?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by paul, Aug 26, 2000.

1. paul

paul Guest

If you have a credit card with a certain bank can you apply for a second new card with the same bank?Anyone know of any banks that allow this?

2. me

me Well-Known Member

I have done this - no problems.

One thing tho - If your first account was recently opened, they might not open another account. They may require that the first account be open for some length of time. That happened to me at Chase.

3. Nytewriter

Nytewriter Guest

Try Capital One. I have a Visa and a Master Card from Capital One.

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

all except providian. I have 2 capital one and had 2 from provident bank. Orchard allows 2 and most others.

5. b golden

b golden Guest

How long was it before you applied for your second capital one card? What credit limit did you get on your first one? How have you liked using Orchard bank? Just wondering. :)

Is your credit pretty good?

6. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I have 4 accounts with Chase.

http://www.creditsense.com

7. samantha

samantha Guest

People can have up to twelve accounts with citibank. I have 3.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

9 Months. I opened my first secured card in Nov. '99. I got my second one this month (aug '00). Orchard is very friendly. However they arenot generous with credit line increases. I heard you have to have the card for 6-9 months before they will consider and increase. Capital one is generous if you are Never late and Never the limit.

9. me

me Well-Known Member

I had 3 citibank cards too - now only 2 because I closed one.

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Capital One is Generous?

I have read postings that indicate some people get large increases on their secured Capital One MasterCards. But others complain about this card, especially about not going unsecured.

As for the unsecured Capital One Visa, subprime with an annual fee, opinion is virtually unanimous that Capital One is NOT generous in raising limits on this card.

11. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Second Providian Card

Providian seems to have rules against applying for a second card, but many of their good customers get offered a MasterCard about six months after receiving their subprime Visa.

12. Saar

Saar Banned

Capital One

I have a secured Visa from Capital One.

Applied for an unsecured gold. Denied. Reason: "You have previously opened an account with us". They didn't pull my credit report prior to the denial.

Saar

13. Angel

Angel Guest

RE: Capital One is Generous?

I have to admit I was more than a little frustrated with Capital One... promising that since my account history was so good during the past year that I was bound to get an increase, even despite the fact I had just gone over limit thanks to the credit protection fee that billed after my annual fee... that in 4 days I would see an increase... and here it is 4 days later and nothing.

The rep I talked to advised me... I am sorry you were given the wrong information... blah blah blah. So I say, 2 people promise an increase and after 2 years of a perfect history, I go over my limit by $2 and I get nothing? Heck, I only have a $200 credit line. $50 would raise my line by 25%! I was offered $100.

Albeit a $300 line is nothing in comparison to some of the numbers I see out here, but with credit that was destroyed as badly as mine was, thanks to a bad break-up, I am thankful anyone was willing to give me anything.

I think we all sometimes need to remember to be thankful for the little things we do get. Sub-primers have a heavy load to bear... try not to make it worse by biting the hand that gave you the second chance.

:)

14. Angel

Angel Guest

RE: Capital One is Generous?

Oops.. helps to proofread... I have not been with them for 2 years... I have just gotten over the 1 year mark. Sorry.

15. Angel

Angel Guest

RE: Capital One

How long did you have your 1st account before you applied for the 2nd? I know some banks have a time limit between opening up accounts. I think the reason is that they want to see that you establish some kind of history with them before they go throwing another card to you. In those cases, it doesnt matter how great you are, and think, at least it isnt reflecting as another inquiry on your CBR.

Of course, if you had your 1st account open for some time... it may be that they only allow one account per person... I dunno. Each bank has it's own policies.

:)