Secured Optima Direct 800 Numb

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Eboni, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Eboni

Eboni Guest

800-787-2571

This is the direct line to the Secured Dept.

I didn't realise they offered secured business accounts also.

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

RE: Secured Optima Direct 800

So I decided to throw my hat in the ring and call (just being curious). Rep stated that the Optima program was discontinued.....PERIOD!!!!! Am/Ex currently has NO SECURED CARDS AT ALL! I asked her about future secured cards and she said that NOTHING to her knowledge was in the works.

Just sharing my experience. This really sucks because most big timers like Citibank, Chase, etc. offer a secured card. Why won't Am/Ex? Maybe instead of not offering a secured card, they might lower their requirements to obtain a regular card???

3. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Really an Amex secured card is not all that. I only want one for work and travel and because it's a status symbol.

I'd rather have a card that gave me more for my deposit than an equal amount.

I am really happy to have my Amex card. This will probably be the only way I ever get an Amex card and since it only has a $25 annual fee, it's cheaper than the other Amex cards. $300 a year annual fee for Amex Platinum? That's crazy.

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Like you said, it's a status thing! I totally agree with you. Some of us are just plain credit stuck up! ;-D

All jokes aside though.....if Am/Ex would give me a Platinum card, I would pay the $300/yr fee NO PROBLEM!!!!! That card is top dog around these parts! And the bennifits surrounding the card are amazing!

5. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

I feel the same way y'all do about AMEX. I'm just not going to give up until I have one of those cards in my wallet. (I did until just recently have a Corporate Card, but that's not the same thing, and the company moved to California, anyway...)

So, I tried calling today too, as I was one of those folks who didn't quite make it in under the wire (in October). The rep who answered the phone was very courteous, and told me that a new secured card program was being discussed by the head AMEX office in NY, but she didn't have any specific information on it at the current time.

I briefly considered trying to apply for a AMEX green card with her just because she was so nice, but decided to stay on the wagon (my Cap One $500 for $99 and Chevron CB cards just showed up this week)...LOL.

Cheers,
    Cindy

6. river

river Well-Known Member

Chevron CB card reports your first month and is listed as revolving acc't and also as credit card(not gas card).You are on your way.Be patient and Amex will come your way soon!

7. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

River,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! ;-) I'll hold out for the new AMEX program, which I'm sure will be a good one...

Cheers,
    Cindy

8. Killer

Killer Guest

Cindy,

I agree with River. I really think AMEX is designing something new or will bring back secured Optima. I didn't make the Ocober deadline and called AMEX headquarters in NYC. They couldn't help me get the secured card but I was told that they were discussing something new. I was told likelihood was very good. Like you, I want this card. So we will just wait and see. I'm saving my money for a big deposit!

9. Killer

Killer Guest

I forgot to mention this...

I talked with a person at Centurion bank and was told one of the reasons they ended the Optima secured. She said there was a lot fraud! People were stealing others ID and applying. This was possible because the word was out that the card didn't report to CRA's! Victims were unnaware because nothing surfaced via CR's. Now AMEX could easily solve this by reporting the card! But they chose to stop and evaluate. This lady told me AMEX was beginning to take a lost as a result of the fraud so they are looking at how to prevent it from happening again. Well just report the card! Maybe that's what will happen.