Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sl3966, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. sl3966

    sl3966 Member

    Hello all,

    First let me thank you all for the information that I have read on the boards. So, my situation is as follows. I am in the military and I am trying to get a security clearance however, I have to clean up my credit before I will be approved for it. I have 3 charge-offs, 1 voluntary repo that my mother caused for me while I was in Japan and 1 collection account. The amounts on the accounts are $23.00, $955.00, and $7,608 with $4,280 past due on that last one. There is also a collection account with bell south that was started While I was stationed in Japan (by whom I don't know) in the amount of 600.00 and 601.00 posted twice.

    My dillema is that the SOL is expired on all these accounts but the military wants to see some kind of activity to pay these or they want to not see them on my report at all. My concern is if I start to pay these is that going to ruin the crappy credit that I do have? The accounts are listed as closed in my reports so I don't know how to go about repairing them or paying them since they are listed as closed. I welcome any and all help and/or advice you all could give me and I thank you in advance.
  2. Flyingifr

    Flyingifr Well-Known Member

    Sounds to me like you are a prima candidate to contact them all and make a settlement. Your negoating stance will be "I am on active military in Japan, will be staying here for a while and under the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act there's not a heck of a lot you can do. Let's play Let's Make a Deal." If you settle with 2 of them you should get your clearance. A word of advice - get all deals in writing.
  3. uniondiva

    uniondiva Well-Known Member

    you could also try simple disputes with the cra's since you really don't know if all of the accounts belong to you!
  4. tkriverman

    tkriverman Member


    I am also in the Military and am going thru the same thing. I was told by the "investigating Officer" that anything over $1,000.00 is what they are required to investigate. Not sure if FT. Drum standards are the same as Japan though. I just disputed everything with the CRA's and showed documentation that I did that with a copy of the Valadation request letters I sent out and they gave me an Interim Cleareance (for 1 Year). Gives me time to fix the rest of the crap. Hope this helps.
  5. Hedwig

    Hedwig Well-Known Member

    Since this thread is five years old, a lot of things may not apply now. It's best if you start a new thread with your questions so we can help you.

Share This Page