Shell Card/Mastercard Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by moonpie, Sep 3, 2003.

1. moonpie

moonpie Active Member

3 years ago, my mother received a preapproved offer for a Shell gas card. I asked her to send it in and get a card for me and I would make monthly payments on the account. About a year ago, the account started to appear on my credit report. I still don't know exactly how this happened ( My Social Security # was never given, only my mother's). But I'm happy about it since it is a positive trade line.
    Anyway, I called shell to inquire about converting it to a Shell Mastercard. I was told that they didn't convert and that my mom would have to apply online or by phone. Well, my mom applied and was approved for the Platinum Select Shell card with a $5000 limit. She also requested a card for me to use with my name on it.
    My question is, will I get credit for this Shell Mastercard account, too? Also, will they cancel the Gas card and consolidate it with the Mastercard once their records show that my mom and I already have an account?
    Any info would be appreciated

2. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are an AU (authorized user) just like my Texaco gas card is. I have the card and hubby also has a card. Texaco reports on both mine and hubby's credit reports. His says AU and mine is just a CC.

If your Mom got you a card (AU) then most likely it will report as such on your report. I don't know how Shell works but my Texaco gas card was recently converted to Shell gas card (haven't received my new cards yet) and I don't have a regular CC with them. My Platinum card is thru Chase.

But my guess is it will show up on your credit report since she got you a card on her account. They reported the other card that way so one can assume they will report this one too.

3. moonpie

moonpie Active Member

Thanks for the reply, Iambroke. I was hoping that the Shell Mastercard would report just like the gas card did. I just still wonder will they make the connection since my Social Security # wasn't provided.

4. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

When my hubby got a card thru Texaco/Shell I didn't supply his SS#. I just mearly asked for an additional card. His acct number is the same as mine but with a card 002 instead of 001. I don't know how they figure it out but I guess they report even without it somehow.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I have Shell gas card for over two yrs and they didn't convert mine to Shell Platinum Select MC. Three months ago, I applied for the card and got denied because I have more than three CitiCards with them. So they deducted portion of one of my Citi Cards to open Shell Platinum Select MC. By the way, most card issuer report the authorized usee. By the way, Citibank report the account history of Shell Gas Car monthly to all credit bureaus.

Ron.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"THEY" HAVE THEIR WAYS...

7. moonpie

moonpie Active Member

Citi is reporting the Shell Mastercard already. I've had it less than a week. The limit is $5000. Even though I'm just an authorized user, my score went up 5 points.