Shoud She Give Her Social??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MartysGirl, Jul 18, 2001.

1. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

If my mother has asked for validation on what they listed as a non-paid medical collection (she did paid in 96). They never put it as Paid it still shows unpaid, collected in 96, on her credit report. This is why she is asking for validation claiming it never was hers (trying to get it deleted). Today... They come back and ask her for her social b/c the names are different. She has remarried that's why they are different.

Should she give them her Social? Or what should she do next??

Thanks

MartysGirl

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Are you talking about a collection agency or the credit bureau?? If CA - She would be validating it for them!! That's their job. I would tell them exactly that.

breeze

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

NO

Don't give them more ammunition!

They either have her info or not. period.

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

they've admitted the names are different. They have no social or any other identifying information.

done and done

they remove it or you sue them. those are the only choices.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Exactly.

It just wasn't clear to me if she was referring to a CA or the CRA.

CA had no business putting it there under the circumstances.

breeze

6. MartysGirl

Thanks guys...

Which or what type letter should she send them next?

Or what keyword ;-) should I try to look up to find this?

Thanks

MartysGirl

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

MartysGirl:

All of the information those who have posted here in answer to your question are right on target.

Don't give them her social. Not under THESE circumstances.
    They are making the accusation and it's up to them to prove their point or their allegations when they are challenged.

If they then refuse to remove it, there are ways to force them to do so, like it or not.

How? Well, right now, I'll only say that I am a hard headed old German, UND VE GERMANS HAFF OUR VAYS.

LOL

8. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

nevermind

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Re: Should She Give Her Social??

I'm not "trolling" for business.

She simply isn't ready to go any further yet. All she needs right now is to know what to do for the immediate future, not get confused with a bunch of details that may or may not ever be needed.

Right now, all she needs to do is to tell them it's their problem and they better fix it or else. She don't have to give them what they would dearly love to have to make their work easy for them.

Let them work for their money like everybody else.

Right now, that's about all she needs to know, not a bunch of stuff that does not now apply to her problem and may never apply.

I told her what she needed to know, and that's all. If that's trolling for business, then I better get me a whole new fishing rig.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Did she sent them a letter? Make sure you have a paper trail to fall back on if you need to ;)

Once you have that, if they don't answer (and they can't lol, they aren't sure it's her), sned them a letter and tell them they failed to prove that the debt is hers, remove the negative entry on her CR. If they ignore that, dispute with CRA. If they verify, sue them. So, you have to keep all the paperwork and be organized.

Hopefully, somewhere in this process they will take it off her report, cause going to court is time consuming and annoying.

breeze

11. MartysGirl

Breeze..

She did send a validation letter. They sent her back a letter saying they where not sure if they are dealing with the correct account. They included the account they have is with the last name of XXXX, well she has remarried like I told you guys earlier. Then it stated to please send them her Social so they would know if they are dealing with the same party.

What should her follow up letter be? A letter stating they have failed to prove it belongs to her and please delete it from her credit file? BUT... what if they come back and claim they need her social to delete it from her credit file? SEE... that's what I figured they would do IF she didn't respond sounding like she knows what she is talking about.

What do you think??

MartysGirl

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I would answer that with this: "Why in the hell did you put that on her CR when you are not sure you have the right person? Get it off, or suffer the consequences. I am not obligated to tell you anything."

They have no right to do that. Absolutely none at all. They put it there without a social, they can get it off without a social.

BTW, does she have the proof that it's paid? Does the original creditor show it paid? You could get some money out of it if they don't take it off and she has proof she paid it.

breeze

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING!!!!

14. bbauer

bbauer Banned

While all the rest seem to be making absolutely valid comments about what you should do and should not do, there is a trick that seems to have slipped by here.

You have a copy of the credit report she wants to fight.

go get a photo copy of it and send them that with the listing that is in dispute circled with a black marker pen.

Be sure they can't see any of the other listings on the page. Then send it to them with the notation. This si what I am referring to.

It's not mine, delete it or else I will refer this to my attorney for appropriate legal action.

You have 30 days (or whatever) to cure and furnish proof of deletion. If I do not have your proof of deletion in my hands by that time, I will pursue legal remedies against you.

That should get their attention and not give them a social to work with.

15. MartysGirl

Breeze, Bill. Marie, and George..... My Mother and I Thank you Guys For all of you Help!

I called my mother this morning and told her what I had found out on this board. She and I are going to work together and send them a letter Monday! I will keep you posted!!

MartysGirl

16. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Wow, I just read this thread (where have I been?). It's amazing what they will try, isn't it? Good advice given here..please keep us informed, k?