Should I fix myself or hire so

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Taz, Aug 22, 2000.

1. Taz

Taz Guest

I have a question:

I have a charge-off of about $350 from about a year ago. It is with a credit card company and I would like to pay it off and fix my credit as best as can be done. I have read the self help sections and they seem to give great advice. I also have read how that sometimes people follow these steps and find themselves getting professional help anyways or screwing up. Would it be better to do it myself or hire someone. How much does it cost to hire someone to fix something like this? Any recommendations of some good companies?

Thanks
    Taz

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: Should I fix myself or hir

First of all, there are attorneys. Apparently CardDefenses and Lexington Law Firm are attorneys. As for others, who may or may not be attorneys, there are junum.com and some firm that advertises on CreditMania.com.

You know they are legitimate if:
    (A) They avoid promising too much; and
    (B) They refer to existing laws as they explain their approach.

An attorney probably costs a lot more, and if experienced in credit repair may be worth it. But junum costs something like $22 a month for starters, and I've never seen a lower price than that.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

RE: Should I fix myself or hir

Beware of Lexington Law Firm. According to several posts and a family friend, they don't seem to care too much for dealing with their clients or questions. They do have a strong billing department and advertising department. Read some of the many posts about them before making such a risky move.

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Correction

That's CreditDefenses, not CardDefenses. I'm still at a low level in the world of credit, so when I think "credit" I think "card."

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Lexington Law Firm

Many of their critics acknowledge that they work slowly and steadily to improve your credit record, but that they also don't particularly care if you know about their efforts on your behalf.

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Correction

The gentleman who frequently posts here as CreditDefenses is NOT an attorney. Sorry to mislead anyone, or prematurely get their hopes up.