Should I should I not ?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dinob12, Jul 12, 2001.

1. dinob12

dinob12 Well-Known Member

As on my previous posts...FCNB $900 limit...Getsmart $300 limit...Providian Gold $300..Cross Country $350...

My dad just recieved 3 new cards in the mail today ..Getsmart for $1500..Direct Merchants $3000 and Cap One for $500..I also recieved a card for the DMB card but I am not a joint...I am a authorized user, but I can be placed on the account as a joint acct holder.. Should i close the Cross Country and then go on the Cap One and the DMB as a Joint because that would help my debt to Credit Limit ratio, plus would it help me to get a bigger increase on my own Providian and Getsmart card when it goes up for review.. All of my accounts are less than 3 months old...

2. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

In my experience you don't have to specify joint. If your Dad added you as an authorized user and asked for an additional card in your name, the account will show up "shared" on your credit report. I had two like this. As I said before, you are better off getting your balance to limits (get higher limits) than getting more cards.

3. dinob12

But how do they know my SS number they did not ask me when I applied..I just gave them my name...

4. MadAtCRAs

MadAtCRAs Member

Did they ask you for your address or date of birth?

It's been so long ago I opened those accounts I mentioned that I don't remember. All I know is I opened two cc and put my husbands name for them to add him as an authorized user w/additional card. I don't think there was even a space on the application for DOB or SS# for him. Lucky I didn't mess anything up with those cards! He never used them.

We found out later that the accounts reported to both of our credit profiles. Still does. They say "shared account", I think on Equifax.

5. MadAtCRAs

MadAtCRAs Member

Not to confuse anyone...I have two logins because I couldn't remember password and was using the other computer where it wasn't automatic because of different IP address (daughter hogs the one w/cablemodem). Anyway, I had to create a new one to get in. I'm also Mist.

6. dinob12

Thanks Mist..I think I will give them a call and see what they say regarding how they report a authorized user..Because if i remember they only asked for my name when i applied..

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I would call and find out. They don't need your info to report. They can run a trace and get your ssn, etc. My ex added me on one of his MC accounts (GM card) and I never activated the card, cut it up, etc. and it STILL made it to my reports since it charged off...probably because we were living together, etc. I had a hard time getting it off (but w/ the help of Junum it was deleted). He never gave them any info on me as well. Same for my other Ex, I added him on to my Citibank accout. They initially weren't reporting because his name was pretty common and we didn't live together so I think it was hard for them to get his info. I called them one day to inquire and I gave them his info. Then it started reporting. After that he got Macy's, Associates, Am/Ex Gold, Cap1 (opened and then closed right away). The only previous credit he had was a joint Target and Sears.

8. dinob12

Called DMB and the rep told me that since the card is in my dads name they do not need any info from me..I asked if it would show up on my cr as a authorized user, she said it would not show up at all...Damn !..So I applied for their Iadvantages card and he will let me be the joint on the account and he will not use that card..I am trying to Close the CCB but I still want a 4th card to help build up a history with bank cards...Plus maybe after I am on the account for awhile, I may be able to apply on my own..