Should she dispute online...????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MartysGirl, May 3, 2001.

1. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

I have a good friend who just got her credit report in the mail today for the first time. What do you think if she was to try disputing on the internet....????

I have never disputed online.. so I didn't know what to tell her...

I was just wondering if anyone has?? What did you think about it?? Good or Bad?? And Why??

Also.. what would you not dispute on the internet??

Thanks...

2. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

I have read in more than one place to dispute by mail only. I read it on at least 2 other boards. It is the best chance for deletion from what I hear.

3. cream

cream Active Member

I've disputed items for several friends online through Equifax and have had great results. 6 out of 7 items were deleted! This was on three different peoples accounts. This doesn't guarantee anything....just my experience. Don't know about the other bureaus....can I do an online dispute with them? If so, how?

4. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

CREAM....

When you disputed online what did you dispute that got deleted? Collections, Credit account info, Public info? What ?

I think Equifax is the only place you can dispute online... Don't quote me b/c I am not sure..

5. cream

cream Active Member

Re: CREAM....

I was able to get collections and charge-offs deleted
    using the online dispute process through Equifax.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: CREAM....

next time they want to get credit, dispute all the negatives, wait about 14 days, and then apply for credit. You're fico score does not take into consideration negatives that are in dispute :)

7. nj_newbie

nj_newbie Well-Known Member

I have disputed online and found that generally I think it is faster than doing it snail mail. Just my own experiences though.

NJGAL

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

While I must admit that the prospect of filing on line is attractive, it leaves one no way to prove when a dispute was filed. I would stick to the tried and true method of filing via certified mail return receipt requested.

You have written record of what you have done that way.

Anyway, one should never dispute any item on a credit report. One should always demand validation and never give reason or excuse or make any statement in the process of demanding validation unless one has hard proof of one's statements.

Bill Bauer
    bbauer1@netzero.net

9. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

Bill, how exactly do you word the letter? Do you in essence say, "this isn't valid, prove it?"