Should your sign your signature????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MartysGirl, Oct 19, 2001.

1. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Ok.. A question come up today at my husbands work.... They where saying that you SHOULD sign all validation letters. BUT.. the letters here.... such as the Lizardking version.... doesn't say anything about signing your name (it say's insert name here)? I always took that as type your name not sign your name. I was wondering which letters you do and do NOT write your signature on??

Also.. does anyone know why you Should or Should Not sign yoru name?

2. mglanham

mglanham Well-Known Member

I'll tell you a reason why you shouldn't sign your name on them. I once sent a letter to a valy letter to a creditor, I won't say which one. Since there was a portion of the letter that said "I am unaware of ever having an account with you and this MAY be a case of identity fraud, yada yada yaday" they immediatley assumed that it was fraud. They sent me a letter that stated they were removing all entries on my credit report and would make a notation on the account. I was cracking up about it, because the letter never said that it WAS fraud, just that it was a possibility. Anyway, items were removed from 2 of my reports and all was going well UNTIL...................I recieved a letter from the company's fraud dept. That letter was even funnier, because it said and I quote "We have investigated the fraud claim on this account (again, I never said it was fraud, they assumed that I was insinuating that with the letter) and have come to the conclusion that the above referenced account is yours. Reasons for above statement:

THE SIGNATURE ON FILE MATCHES THE SIGNATURE ON LETTER

Funny huh, I felt like an idiot. If i wouldn't have signed the letter, I would have been free and clear. It was a paid chargeoff too, but hey, two out of three removed not bad. Anyway, I always sign left handed now. (hey it's still my sig, just doesn't look like it).

Matt
    master of the old "left hand signature" trick

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

For legal purposes, my understanding is that a legal signature implys a binding document. Without the signature it could be argued that it is a work in progress, subject to modifications.

Two rules I follow.... NEVER sign any ofter to settle with a CA/Creditor first. ALWAYS sign investigation letters or written responses to the credit reporting agencies (otherwise they will ignore, claim it is a credit repair company)

4. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys for clearing this up ..!!

5. eman

eman Well-Known Member

Re: Should your sign your signature

You should always remember what creditors and banks you have signed for and what your signature with them looked like. In disputing any old bad accounts, I always made sure the signature I put on my validation letter to the creditor was distinctively different from what they might have on file.

On another note, some might argue that a notarized signature is the only truly valid and legal signature which in most cases is never obtained by a creditor. I once had a bad account in my name with a bank that was placed on Chexsystems. I knew for sure that the bank did not have a notary card on file and probably had just copies of checks that were written. When I first disputed the account with the bank by phone, they sent a letter after 90 days claiming they had verified it as mine and that If I was going to continue to dispute it, I would have to send a notarized letter making my claim. Knowing that they were trying to set me up by getting me to send them a notarized signature to match what they had on file, I made sure the notarized signature I sent them did not match anything they might have in their files. They quickly removed the account from Chexsystems once they got the letter.

The question is if it is legal to change the way you sign your name. I feel it is especially if you ever been a victim of fraud. Imagine if someone got a hold of your wallet and managed to closely replicate your signature using one of your accounts. I would change my signature after that just in case that same person tried to do it again. Do you keep the same credit card number on your account after it has been stolen or fraudulently used? No. In the same way, if your signature is fraudulently used, then you should change the way you sign your name.

6. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Re: Should your sign your signature

I have recently had surgery on both wrists. My signature is now different through no fault or willing misconduct on my part. My bank called me because they were suspicious of some checks I had written. So if my signature no longer matches old documents, they can't blame me. (Can't prove anything, either!)

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't work for me -I'm a lefty.