Small Check to overdue cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mouse, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Mouse

Mouse Guest

I am seriously behind on my credit cards and will not ever be able to pay them all off..They are mostly at the point of being charged off and I am dealing with Collection Agencies. I have been making a small token payment to each one each month of $1.00 each as I once heard that as long as you pay something you run less risk of legal action againest you. Is this a smart move? Should I continue to do this or am I only prolonging the whole procedure..any info would be helpful on this..thanks

mouse

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Small Check to overdue car

If they are not charged off, you need to arrange a payment plan now to save yourself 7 years of hell. If they are charged off, quit paying, you're only prolonging your sentence by re-aging your debt.

Once they are charge off's i'd say either BK (bad idea) or wait till you can offer then 50% of the total debt as settlement.

3. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

What about a debt consolidation loan since their not in charge off status yet?

4. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

I would NOT do a debt consolidation loan.

Most debt consolidation loans are either secured (i.e. home) or personal. If you are behind, you can kiss a personal loan goodbye because these are difficult to get.