So Many Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by alaskan, Sep 1, 2003.

1. alaskan

alaskan New Member

Hello, I have so many questions that I am hoping to find answers on! Okay, first of all I have approximately 7-9 things on my credit that I do not beleive are mine. There are a few things back from 1997 from Anderson Financial Network which states its orignal creditor was sprint. I also have one from Park Dansan stating that their original was sprint too. Okay, my first question is that in 1997 I was only 17, so I couldn't even legally open up an account on my own anyway, right? Then my next question is how long does things stay on your credit? Does it go from the date first reported, or how does it start? Also, I thought the creditors were suppossed to contact me before posting anything on my credit...I have never received any phone calls.
    Where should I start and what should I do? These items are just the things on my experian report, god only knows whats on the rest of them! How long will it take to get these taken off?
    Please help me, I am so new to this and have no idea what the hell I'm doing!

Thank you so much
    Kimberly in Alaska

2. Poochie

Poochie Well-Known Member

Hi Kimberly,

First thing you should do is to get a copy of all three of your reports. If you do this online, you will be able to dispute any information you believe to be incorrect online, right away. Dispute those items as "Not Mine" and wait to see if the items are deleted by the credit bureaus. Those items are so old they will probably fall off soon anyway. Negative information stays on your report for 7 years, with the exception of certain kinds of bankruptcy and judgements.

I may be wrong about this, but creditors are under no obligation to call you before they report negative information to your reports.

For more information, check out Psych Docs "Credit Repair Primer" at the top of the board.

Good luck!

Poochie

3. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

Kimberly...

Creditors are under no obligation to notify you before placing anything on your report. Before you start any credit repair, spend a fair amount of time readign this board so you understand what you are undertaking. The articles at the top of the board (including Doc's) are must-reads.

4. alaskan

alaskan New Member

Thank you guys so much for your help! I did read psych docs primer, it was so inspirational! I am going to write dispute letters to all the creditors that I beleive are not mine, and I will go from there. I will be checking this board every day-this is my life saver!

5. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

Kimberly,

You are in luck! The 7-year rule is on your side. If those debts appeared in 1997 then you have only to dispute as 'not mine' to all 3 bureaus. They will see that you are nearing the 7 years limit and they will wipe your records clean! :)

Once you have a clean file, be careful now. Don't abuse your good credit. Only apply for cards you really need. I would suggest opening 2 credit card accounts and keep them current for 2 years. That will help you to rebuild your creditworthiness.

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Hello, I have so many questions that I am hoping to find answers on! Okay, first of all I have approximately 7-9 things on my credit that I do not beleive are mine.
    1*There are a few things back from 1997 from Anderson Financial Network which states its orignal creditor was sprint.
    2*I also have one from Park Dansan stating that their original was sprint too.
    3* Okay, my first question is that in 1997 I was only 17, so I couldn't even legally open up an account on my own anyway, right?
    4*Then my next question is how long does things stay on your credit? Does it go from the date first reported, or how does it start?
    5*Also, I thought the creditors were suppossed to contact me before posting anything on my credit...I have never received any phone calls.
    Where should I start and what should I do? These items are just the things on my experian report, god only knows whats on the rest of them!
    6*How long will it take to get these taken off?
    Please help me, I am so new to this and have no idea what the hell I'm doing!
    Kim
    Thank you so much
    1* & 2* Send these CAs the V. L.
    3*
    4* 7 years from Date of last activity
    5*Wrong
    6*No way to tell,

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

*I may be wrong about this, but creditors are under no obligation to call you before they report negative information to your reports.

For more information, check out Psych Docs "Credit Repair Primer" at the top of the board.

Good luck!

Poochie

*Correct
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''Subject: Said It Better Than I could
    The Ten Commandments display was removed Wednesday from the Alabama Supreme Court building.
    There was a good reason for the move.
    You can't post Thou Shalt Not Steal in a building full of Lawyers and
    Politicians without creating a hostile work environment.
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---- >>