SOL for rental contracts in GA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ElorraM, Aug 21, 2003.

1. ElorraM

ElorraM Active Member

What is the SOL for a rental agreement? My apartment complex that I lived in turned me in to collections for a months rent because they said I did not give them thirty days notice. This item is five years old.

I signed a rental contact for the apartment. What kind of contact in this? I looked up the following for SOL for Georgia, but am not sure which one applies:

Oral Contract: 6 years
    Written Contract: 6 years
    Promissory Contract: 4 years
    Open-Ended Accounts: 4 years

Obviously Oral would not be it and I think Open-Ended accounts applies to credit cards. Iâ??m hoping itâ??s not written, but it probably is. Can anyone tell me?

2. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

Hi Elorra,

It is, unfortunately, written contract. When signing the lease, you agreed to pay a fixed amount every month, for a set period of time. That fulfills all the conditions for a written contract ... fixed period, fixed amount, fixed interest rate.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"IF" they MITIGATED DAMAGES like they rented it out only LOSING 5 days rent...I ASSUME THEY COULD NOT COLLECT THE WHOLE MONTHS RENT

But they can charge you for 5 days and any fees incurred like an ad for the newspaper...gas to and from the place to show it...

(NOT A RENTAL EXPERT)

YMMV