SOL on old debts

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by confused, Apr 6, 2001.

1. confused

confused Guest

I have 6 old credit card accounts from college in which the SOL has expired I think. From what I have been reading, the SOL starts from the date of Last activity.

If this is correct, am I still responsible for paying the debt? The dates of Last activity reported was in 1996 & 1997. My state has a 3 year SOL for credit accounts.

I have received letters from collections, but have made no contact with them since 1997. Do I send them a letter letting them know that the SOL has ran out and to quit trying to collect the debt?

2. Bigun

Bigun Guest

First of all, talk with a lawyer and be 100% sure of the SOL. Then, if you are ever contacted by a collection agency inform them of that fact and have no more contact.If they sue you have an affirmative defense. Just respond on the summons that the SOL has expired and the judge will toss the case on the spot. No way I would voluntarily initiate contact with the agency. BTW, what state are you in?

3. confused

confused Guest

Its kind of confusing. The debt was originally made in DC (95,96). But the last payment for the debt was in Arkansas(96,97) and I currently live in California (2000).