SOL question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kittw1, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

Several questions:

1) How can I use the SOL to my advantage for deletions? Is there a letter for this?

2) Do I send it to the credit grantor or the CRAs?

3) Also, I am helping a friend with her reports. We were able to get a judgement removed from TU, but not from EXP or EQ. Her sister suggested some form which I have yet to see to get this to work basically citing that "TU did so you better do it too." I always thought that you shouldn't share info to the CRAs unless it's positive info. What else can we do?

Thanks

2. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

bump

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the form you suggested but was under the impression that what one CRA does won't impact another.

Basically, if the SOL has run out, you have more bargaining power since they have no other recourse to get their money.

4. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

NanaC

How can I use the SOLs to further my cause (aka deletion)? Is there a letter that I can use?

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

It would depend on the specific situation you are talking about...can you share?

6. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

Ok for instance...I have Cap 1 date of last activity is 3/97...it's sked to be off 01/02..how can I get it off now using SOL?

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I think you need to be a little more familiar with SOL in order to understand how it will or will not work for you.

First of all, there are two different SOLs and they have no bearing on each other whatever.

One is the SOL credit bureaus must deal with and that is 7 years for most items excluding bankruptcy, some student loan situations and other governmental type reports as well as judgements and garnishments which can stay on longer.

The other type of SOL is the state level SOL which varies from state to state and also according to type of indebtedness in most states. State SOL has no bearing on Credit bureaus. State SOLs are only valid in state courts and then only if used as a positive defense by the debtor in applicable situations.

While some of the instances I used in the first example may or may not be correct, they still serve to point out the differences in the types of SOL one is talking about. In otherwords, they are illustrative only.

I make the point about their being for illustrative purposes only so that we do not wander off into discussions that do not serve your purpose.

Hope that helps you to understand the differences and how they might affect your particular situation.

8. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

And I thank you Mr. Bauer!!!

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Don't bet on that! (LOL)

10. bbauer

bbauer Banned

11. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

Well "Billy" that sums it all fer me!!

12. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Just about does it up brown, don't it?

Although I suspect that you already know all about the state sol in your state, I'll also go into the sol for all states in a short short.

That sounds like a big undertaking, but about all it will be is a link that will give the sol(s) for all states that's already on another website. So it won't be all that big of a deal.

13. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

OK, so now I know that the SOL in California (where I am) is 4 yrs if they have not filed. To paraphrase the original post; in regards to an older account showing up as a Collection account, in addition to my other efforts, (Validation, etc), What can I do with this information?

PS Bill, Thanks for all the good info on ealier post.

14. bbauer

bbauer Banned

No, no windmills around here that I know of, but did you go see if they had your hospital baby picture on line yet? They seem to have just about everybody's.

15. Quixote

I've already had my leg pulled in that particular direction!

Although,... I do recall a certain family resemblance...lol

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

BABY PICTURE...
    HOW RUDE!!!!

17. Quixote

Bump.

Any takers on above question?

18. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Quixote:
    It is only of interest to you if they take you to court and the SOL has run out on them.
    In that case, you can go to court and ask that their motion for judgement be dismissed by reason of the SOL.

That's about the only practical use there is for the information

19. Quixote

Thanks Bill!

So from a leverage standpoint, and particularly where I'm fighting a piddling $80 collection, it is just one more thing that makes it not worth their time to fight me too hard. I suppose not a bad thing to bring this up in the correspondences?

20. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

They can keep on dinging your credit reports, trying to collect - SOL has nothing to so with that.