SOL vs 7-year-rule?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by samitra, Jun 15, 2001.

1. samitra

samitra Active Member

The more I read on this board about this subject. The more confused I get. My debt from the collection agency has fallen off all reports due to the 7-year-rule. However, the SOL for South Carolina 3yrs-open 10yrs-contract for Civil Litigation. I got this information off of http://www.creditdefenses.com/statutes/ thanks to Crdt Dfnse

What is Open? I think that a medical debt is a written contract. So that would mean that I still have 3 years left to be sued. Is that correct?

Thank you for your input.

sam

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Were these medical bills from a visit to the emergency room? When you entered, the ER you probably signed an entrance form agreeing to pay for the services rendered, this is there contract. If this is the case your suspicions are correct. They can try to sue you if the feel the amount justifies the expense for three years in your case...

3. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

By the way I doubt you have anything to worry about. They are probably not going to do a thing....

4. samitra

samitra Active Member

godaddyo

<<Were these medical bills from a visit to the emergency room? When you entered, the ER you probably signed an entrance form agreeing to pay for the services rendered, this is there contract. If this is the case your suspicions are correct. They can try to sue you if the feel the amount justifies the expense for three years in your case...>>

This medical bill is from a hospitalization. $500 is the balance left on it now. I have been busy paying off so many other medical bills, it just got left out.

Anyway, thank you all for answers. I understand the difference and I will not worry about it anymore.

Thank you all for your answers and patience.

sam