Some Expertise Before I Begin....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by IntoTheBlu, Jun 18, 2013.

1. IntoTheBlu

IntoTheBlu Member

Thank you so much mindcrime, jam, Jason and Kameleon! I appreciate all of your help and expertise. I would have replied a few days ago but I've been under the weather this week!

I'm a newbie, so I just sent the CA a DVL first. Will that hurt? Can I still send them the ITS?

Also, not to hijack my own thread but I have another tricky situation I need some advice on and I know you guys are the ppl to ask! This is really tricky and confusing so I will try my best to be clear...

I got a response to a DVL I sent to a CA. ( It was for Comcast cable company in the amount of $272.) in my DVL sent on 6/20, I asked for proof of the debt, original signed contract, any and all billing statements, any copies of pymts or chks received, any copies of late notices, accounting of the charges substantiating the balance.

I received a computer " screenshot" of the final itemized bill.

Now here's where it gets WEIRD:

6 years ago my Husband and I ( then BOYFRIEND) lived in another state (PA) his first name is James and my first name is Jamie. We shared a home together. I had Comcast contract in my MAIDEN name. I then had to move back to NY alone for a few months because my Dad got sick. DH stayed in the apartment but it became too expensive so the cable bill went unpaid. He then moved to a new more affordable place and opened a Comcast cable account under his name. That was eventually unpaid. We have since moved to SC, bought a home and got Married. So my name is now Jamie Doe and his is James Doe. Obviously extremely similar.

The CA in response to my DVL sent me HIS statement!!! I never even lived at the residence! What do I do now?? What are my next steps. They sent me a billing statement that's not mine. Confused

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. Kameleon

Kameleon Well-Known Member

As to the first debt issue.
    I don't think sending a DVL is going to restart the clock. BUT keep an eye on what the DOFD is/was before you sent the DVL, just in case they get the letter and try to be sneaky and re-age or update that date. If you did somehow make a legitimate payment that was not reported AFTER the DOFD then yeah you might have shot yourself in the foot. Otherwise i would not worry, it's too late, the letter is on the way. let us know what they send back. I would dispute any and everything they send as validation and grind the clock down so the SOL is completely passed. THEN send ITS with the option to settle and promise the balance will not be re-sold.

As for the other issues:
    Unless i read wrong, You both have comcast and both of the account in separate names went to collections BEFORE you were married. If this is the case i think

1) I am weary of you contacting the DVL to alert them that they sent you the wrong info since you are not "james". they may dig up the "jamie bill" and send you that.

2) You could forward the CA's response to the CRA reporting in a dispute and request that the account be removed because obviously that name on the account is not you. If the CRA has no knowledge of you being at that address that should get the issue dropped. HOWEVER If the CRA is aware you are married to the person on the comcast bill it may come down to you sending a copy of the marriage license showing the date you were married vs the date of the debt to get it off. I've heard of this happening with totally unrelated debts but something this close with you living with him once before and also having a comcast debt account of your own....... plan before you go at this one. The experts will chime in shortly i'm sure.

Here's a question though, does the account number on your credit report match the wrong bill they sent you? This may help determine you correct next move.

Also check the SOL on cable and telephone bills in your state. Theses are usually really low like 2 years in some states.

(personally i do like to see new issues in new threads, because as a newbie reads all these post they/we starts with reading a title. If what in the thread is of no value to me i'm bummed and on the other hand i might be in the same exact situation you are/were in and i may never run into it/you if that topic is hidden inside another thread.)