Someone is messing with my Equifax?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Becky, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

If it isn't a person it has to be gremlins. I have been posting latley the trouble I have been having with my Equifax reports. Different items to different lenders. Scores up un til yesterday remaining really close. The scores dropping 200+ points in 2 1/2
    months with only three inquiries in 90 days.

Can't get a copy directly from them with out sending 6 million forms of ID to prove who I am.

I thought at first it was because we had moved 9 months ago & until recent I had not had it pulled for any thing.

I finally decided to try having my husbands sent. Wam Bam thank you mam. Will be sent no problem in 72 hours.

We have the exact same credit & address for the past 18 years. So what is going on? HAs anyone else had this happen to you? How did you deal with it?

I am sending all the info they want. It will take a fork lift to get there. I am so afraid that I will ask the wrong info to get this all straightened out. Then I will really be up the creek without even a bucket to bail.

Thanks, Becky

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I went ahead and ordered again using their automated system and my old mailing address. Since I still had a forwarding address, it got to me. I just waited for my new credit lines to show up and I waved a magic wand and Wah la" they started sending me my reports at my new address. What a pain in the rear.....

3. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

Our old address is done forwarding so I can't do that:)

This is so bad that because of this we may lose out on a really good deal for a house. They were asking $155,000 dropped to $140,000. We offered them $100,000 (the realtor said they wanted out). I didn't think they would accept. Well they will & I can't get a loan cause my best report is so screwed up.

Can I borrow your magic wand? I have a few heads to crack:)

I am so frustrated.

Becky

4. godaddyo

I know that this is frustrating, but if you are able to get such a good deal on this house, especially with the built in equity, it would not be a problem to get an outside investor or a hard money lendor in on the deal...I do a little investing on the side myself. It is not hard to do and all it takes is some phone calls. You can actually find these lendors in the phone book. Of course, sooner or later you will need good credit to get the terms you will really want and to maintain lending on the purchase....Dont give up, just because your credit report is bad. Good deals with that much built in equity dont come everyday.... Good luck!!!

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, let me help you out a tad bit anyway.

How about we reduce those 6 million forms of ID down to just exactly two?

Here is how you do it.

Go to your attorney (a notary sojack will work just as well) and get him to write a statement on his letterhead stating that you have appeared before him and presented him with 3 forms of proof that you live at 1234 Somewhere Road in Mala Vista, State of Confusion zipcode 00000 (or that he personally knows that you have lived at the address for umpteen years. Have him notarize it.

Then head for the copy shop. Once you get there, you reach down into the nearest waste basket (or whever) and come up with a clean sheet of 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper. Fold it in half and crease it good, then fold it in half again.

Your paper is now effectively divided in fourths.

Take out your drivers license and your SS card.
    Put them both face down in the area where the upper left hand quarter of that sheet of paper you folded up will also go and use it to cover up the two cards. Set the copier for a 200% blowup and the lightest possible contrast.

Shoot a copy. The resultant photo should show both ID's blown up to the point where they are in the middle of the copy and very plainly visible.

There are the only two pieces of identification paper you will ever need in dealing with the CRAs

Hope that helps.

6. godaddyo

I like the attorney idea. It would let them know that you are definately not kidding. This situation could be worth the expense.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd visit my local branch and pick up your copy.... or

I'd call them and ask to speak to a supervisor. Get a fax number and fax them the info. Tell them about the great real estate deal but they may just cost you 60k in profit and you were counseled to call them and explain the urgency...

you'd hate to have to hold them liable for losing out on a great deal because they won't even send you a copy of your report. That's ridiculous.

Play a little hardball.

Remember, you get what you settle for, so don't settle.

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

By the way, I agree that almost anyone should be willing to finance this deal with so much equity.

even if you walked away from the house the day after closing there'd be more than enough money left in the property to not only break even but also likely make money...

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, for me there was no expense because an attorney did it for free.

I'd known him for several years. I'm sure that helped and it was no big task anyway since I composed the letter I wanted from him myself.

All he had to do was to hand it to his secretary who was also his notary and the whole process was done in about 10 minutes time.

10. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I like the Attorney idea too. I have a good friend that is an Attorney I am sure he would let me write someting up & he would sign it.

I contacted three lenders about this house. Only one would do it by writing up downpayment & closing costs in to it. The others wanted 10-20% cash. We had not planed on finding anything this fast. Looking at this house was on a whime. We actually wanted to get our credit cleaned up before we started. So we wouldn't have to do such a hefty down.

Late yesterday afternoon I had my hopes up. He said he should have the paperwork ready to go to the Realtor by mid-afternooon today.

It is well after closing & I have had no call. Rather depressed tonight.

Of course the Realtor had called last night with tales of other interested parties that just happen to look at it yesterday afternoon.... That if the owner dosen't get an offer by Fri her boyfriend is going to take a lower interest loan out for her.... I hate when people play these games. Do they think that we are all idiots like them! (been in the horse business 6 yrs & have heard it all:)

Keep your fringers crossesd that this lender will come through like he said.

Thanks,
    Becky