Spiegel credit limit increases

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Why is it that I keep getting credit limit increases from these people and my "Real" cards ignore my requests?

I've gone from an initial $825 limit to $3450 in the last year. The funny thing is that I've never asked for any of the increases.

I guess I shouldn't bitch, it's making my balances to total credit available look better.

My advice for rebuilders is to get a FCNB secured card and the Spiegel offer will come about a year later. Then you can ponder the reasoning of all of this....

Mike

2. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Well Said Mike...

I totally agree with you about FCNB!!

MartysGirl

3. Illini

Illini Well-Known Member

What kind of fees are associated with the card?

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I forgot to tell you the annual fees. Spiegel is nothing. FCNB I think is somewhere between $40-60$ per year. I really don't remember.

Mike

5. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

Same here. They were even included in my b/k. I still received their catalogs and one time I noticed a number to call to activate my 250.00 credit limit. I did and in 18 months that limit has risen to 3100.00. I have not requested an increase either.

I do not have the FCNB credit card although I recently received a pre-approved app in the mail with a 250.00 - 1,000.00 limit. I really can't spare an inquiry right now or I'd probably send it in. I don't really need it but I would like to give my business to a company that took a chance on me and has rewarded me with constant increases.

As for the fees, I can only speak for the Spiegel card. There is no yearly fee or app fee or anything like that. The interest on mine is quite high. I believe about 23%. The nice thing about them is that they have a grace period.

I pay all my bills through my homebanking. Every now and then it doesn't go through so I always check on line or call to insure the payment has been received. Once, Spiegel didn't get their payment. I asked if I could do a payment over the phone and they said not to worry about, that I had a grace period before I was considered late and incurred any late fees. I couldn't believe it! It has been some time since I've seen those. Of course, this was some time ago, and it may have changed. By the way, my payment was received by them the next day anyway so it didn't matter.

Their card can also be used at Newport News & Eddie Bauer and I think a couple of other places.

6. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

One Great Thing with FCNB is they will report an Authorized User. This works well for someone trying to help someone build credit.

MartysGirl