Sprint PCS Credit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MistyEyed, Jun 24, 2001.

1. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Does anyone happen to know which credit report Sprint PCS pulls? I need a cel phone but would like them to pull the one with the least amount of inquiries. Any ideas?

Misty Eyed

2. comet

comet Member

sprint uses experian, but right now there should be no deposit for anyone. that is a nationwide program they rolled out earlier this month. the only way you would have a deposit is if you already owed them money.

3. VJ

VJ Well-Known Member

Some cell phone service providers, including Sprint, have prepaid plans where you pay in advance for x amount of airtime minutes which do not pull any credit reports.

You've touched on a pet peeve of mine.Need to preface this.

IMPLIED parody/All IMHO
    Be aware, Sprint's tactics border on being criminal.If you drop a call it is necessary to call customer service within 10-15 minutes to get credit for the dropped call (Sprint allows only 1 minute credit)(If you start a call at 8:01 and 58 seconds and drop it at 8:02 and 1 second they will charge you for
    2 minutes,even though you only used the phone for 3seconds.
    If you go to the sprint store and pay the receptionist, you will be charged a $5.00 service fee.(HUH??)
    If you do try to call Sprint customer service on your cell phone my average wait time is 45-80 minutes,but it doesn't matter because your batteries will go dead waiting for a real person or you will lose the signal and drop that call too.
    Sprint has no idea of what customer service means.
    Sprint service area is extremely limited,unreliable,inconsistent and in an emergency situation the cellphone I'd least want to depend on to call for help.

I've sent copies of "IN SEARCH OF EXCELLENCE" BY Peters
    to customer service supervisors (4), C/O the Presidents office,
    with a letter explaining the adventures and torture customers were exposed to on a daily basis and suggested if he had any questions he should have his secretary read it to him.

My phone was disconnected within the week by sprint. No one could explain the reason for this action.It took 2 hours to have it re-connected,70 minutes on hold to talk to a real person,40 more minutes of being on hold again waiting for a supervisor,10 minutes of talking.

Sprint PCS is acting like a company that may have some very serious internal problems and respectfully suggest, based on my experiences with them, they be used only as the provider of last resort.

VJ

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

sprint's new plan is $25 non refundable deposit & $200 spending limit per month.

My gf got denied credit from sprint pcs, her citibank platinum select arrived the week earlier, and her mbna $5K card came a week later. Her fico must be excellent. Never the less "Denied" - excessive inquiries.

So anyone with credit who hasn't screwed over sprint before should get their new phones.

5. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Don't most companies charge by the minute, I mean even if you go 1 second into it, they still charge, I don't think that is just Sprint. I just called my other two choices and I was told that yes the bill by the minute unless you get in on a special promotion, same as Sprint.

Anyhow, I'm about to head down to the Sprint PCS store and see if I can get a phone, I'm not so much worried about them pulling my credit because of bad credit, since Junum has went to work, it has improved drastically, but I would like to keep my inquiries to a minimum until we get into our house.

MistyEyed

6. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

VoiceStream bills by the minute, but the first incoming minute is free. That alone ahs saved me lots of moola$$

7. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I have had Sprint a couple years. Excellent service. I have it both for perosnal and business. Never a problem. My son got it in Baltimore. No problems.

I gave up on Bell South because of the service problems. At least a one hour wait to get a service rep.

I think with the digital phones that service varies depending where you are. The best bet is to talk to people you know who have the service and see how good the quality is in your area for that carrier.

VJ: Great idea, telling the big shot to have his secretary read it to him.

8. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I have Sprint here in ATL. Bottom line, in ATL ~ IT SUCKS. As big as the metro area is in ATL, most places I go, I roam or there is no reception ~ digital or otherwise. I roam at home, in the grocery store, and driving through Downtown ATL.

Good thing about sprint, when I travel to other cities, I don't pay LD charges for calling outside of home area.

9. Laray

Laray Well-Known Member

when i signed up with sprint pcs, they checked equifax and TU. This was in Southern NJ.

10. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Why don't you try Nextel. They checked my TU and believe me....it was awful when they did. But I'd had 2 years of on-time payments (although I had a foreclosure, 2 charge-offs and 2 or 3 collections) and I was approved.

What I like about them is of course, the 2-way radio feature. If you have friends in the area, you can all get on the same "fleet" and 2-way each other for much cheaper than a phone call. Then, they bill in 10 second increments...not minute. Also, there's never any roaming. When you travel, if they have service in that area, you calls in that area (to phones in that area) become local calls. And if you get the "free long distance", that makes it even better.

I've had the service since December and I've never dropped/missed a call. I travel to MI often and I get crystal clear reception and make all the calls I want there for free. Can't beat it.

11. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

I agree w/ Shantel... Nextel is the way to go!! I have used Bell South/Verzion and Sprint PCS. Nothing compares to Nextel. The service is very broad. I went with Nextel b/c I was traveling 95% of the time and it was the only service that allowed me to call in and out of the US for a set price. It also has no roaming no matter if you are in or out of the state of your local calling area.... Sprint and Verzion will charge you a fee for making local calls from another state! The only down fall I have found about Nextel is.. if you are in a small town that doesn't have digital towers, you will play hell w/ your service. AND.. don't forget to ask if, no matter what, if by changing your package will you be entering a contract. MOST will try to screw you over that way by not telling you that you are entering in a new contract... !!

Hope I have helped some!!

MartysGirl

12. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I have had Sprint PCS for almost 3 years. Never a major problem. They may have some issues, but what company doesn't? They are always on the cutting edge of technology which I love. The wireless web is great as well as voice command. For me, the reception has also been great (I'm sure that depends on location). I travel often and I am never charged to use my phone while traveling in the PCS digital territory (which is almost everywhere). You can use your phone in a different state and all you use is the minutes in your plan. No extra charges.

As far as having difficulty reaching customer service, it should be said that customer care is open 24 hours a day. No need to call during peak hours. Wait until after you have dinner and watch the late night news. It is always easy to get through. Just my opinion. :)

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ON ROAM EVERYWHERE IN ATLANTA???
    MAYBE YOU HAVE A NEW YORK PHONE NUMBER...

:)

I'M THINKING ABOUT VERIZON OR AT&T (CALL ANYWHERE FROM ANYWHERE~NO LONG DISTANCE OR ROAMING).

14. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

I've had Sprint for a year. Even with a dual band phone avoid Sprint if you go to the country. The Analog roaming sucks EVERYWHERE I've been. Overwise they are great. They did cutoff my phone in error one time for lack of payment. It was funny because the screen on the phone told me so! If you do go with Sprint checkout the Sanyo 4500. It's a great phone!!! Feature packed!! The wireless web is useless unless you are a techno gadget head. I'm one and I find it frustrating. It was cool when I needed to get some pop mail and I was able to get it.

15. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

I have Sprint PCS and they are ok. No Long Distant Charges, 2000 anytime minutes...and I do mean anytime. All I pay is my monthly bill. I don't even pay for roaming, if I roam.

I had to pay a deposit but after a year of on-time payments, they refund that deposit back to you. I agree with calling them after dinner. During the day it's almost impossible to get through.