state tax lein please answer

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Making a long story short, apparently I owed state taxes the year of "97" and I didn't pay (47.00) I now receive a notice 2 years later that I owe 300.00 on a tax lein, of course I need to find out how this happen and if it is true. But if this is correct will this be on my credit report?? If I owe I will pay immediately of course, but is this going to kill my score, I have been working so hard trying to build up my score:(

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: state tax lein please answ

I have 2 current reports I ordered this week and there was nothing on there yet, if I pay this immediately will they still report it? This is throughly depressing I am trying so hard and now this happens.

3. justme

justme Guest

The 300.00 is probably the result of interest tacked on. It will definitely go on your report if you don't pay. You may be able to make a deal with the State Department of REvenue to reduce the amount owed. I'd call them first and even if they don't reduce and you can pay, then pay. I don't think it'll be added to your CR if you pay right away. But I'd call first and talk to someone there. Good luck!

4. Pat

Pat Guest

It isn't public record. Pay i

Just pay it. It will go away quietly.

5. funny

funny Guest

RE: It isn't public record. P

I intend on paying, but what do you mean it isn't public record??

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: It isn't public record. P

I plan on paying this of course, but state tax leins are public record

7. dave

dave Well-Known Member

if the lien is recorded at the county courthouse, it will appear as a public record and be picked up by the CRAs. Unpaid tax liens will affect your credit. Most creditors will not be concerned once the lien has been released.

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

thanks dave, i am paying asap, so i guess it will show my lein/paid. I hope this will not kill my chances with a mortgage??

9. dave

dave Well-Known Member

mortgage lenders would be even less concerned about a paid tax lien.

10. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Ditto With Dave

Mom Of 3:
    Hay for what itâ??s worth I completely agree with Dave, this issue isnâ??t going to affect your getting a mortgage. But even if you didnâ??t pay the lien and went after a mortgage, the lender would probably approve the loan on condition the matter is paid first. (That is providing all other credit is reasonably sound.)

Keep The Faith,
    Anthony Villaseñor

11. CardReport

CardReport Guest

A major issue with tax liens is that the IRS and state tax authorities can be extremely aggressive collectors. So if you have an unpaid tax debt, a prospective lender may be concerned that the government will start grabbing your assets (e.g. cleaning out your bank accounts), thus de-stabilizing you. And in the case of a house, there might be a danger of a lien being placed on the property, which could be an extra hassle and expense in the event of a forclosure.

So if it is paid off, the danger goes away.

Good Luck.

--
    CardReport.Com - Credit Tools, News, And Reference

http://www.cardreport.com/