STATUE OF LIMITATIONS

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CANDICE, Jun 3, 2000.

1. CANDICE

CANDICE Guest

Is there a statue of limitations on an unpaid tax lien? I have a federal tax lien from 1983 and was told it would expire in seven years. Is this true? I am trying to apply for a mortgage and wonder if I should wait until it comes off my credit report.

2. BOB

BOB Guest

Candice, Here's what CSC say's about TAX LIENS.
    1. PAID TAX/LIENS-SEVEN YEARS FROM PAID/RELEASE DATE.

2. UNPAID TAX LIENS REPORT INDEFINATELY!!!

Sorry if this messes up your plans but an unpaid tax lien is reported indefinately,
    or (forever) until paid. Good Luck
    BOB

3. JP

JP Guest

Sorry, but unpaid debts to the "FED" are never removed. I would strongly suggest paying it as it may really affect your ability to get your mortgage.

Regards,
    JP

4. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

The feds are usually good about removing negative credit information once you get the situation under control. I suggest you start making some phone calls to line up some sort of payment arrangement.

This debt will NOT go away, and it will continue to increase every single day until it's paid. Interest rates for cash advances on credit cards don't hold a candle to the daily interest rates the feds charge. Sometimes it's a much better deal to pay off tax debts with high-interest credit cards, especially one as old as yours.

If you don't get a handle on this situation, it will not only affect your chances of getting a mortgage, it will affect your chances of keeping even the smallest bank account.

I'm surprised they haven't come after you by now. Just because they haven't done so yet is no reason to think you've escaped them, or that you're excused. They know where you are even better than you do, and if they have to come after you, there will be hell to pay!

Don't waste any more time with this. Go to them, straighten it out voluntarily. Even if protecting your credit isn't a big priority for you, protecting your sanity and peace of mind should be. Good luck!

5. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Slow ticking timebomb. . . .

Speaking from experience, I say don't screw the government, they can wreck your life. Once that debt accumulates to the point that someone takes notice and wants to spend time to collect it, then watch out!!

Arrange to pay it back with the money you are saving for your house.

6. JP

JP Guest

RE: Slow ticking timebomb. . .

I'll second this, I once knew a gentlemen who owed the IRS $10K and ignored it for 2 years. Well one day when he got paid, instead of the normal $1300 per week (net), he only received $300 and it continued until the debt was paid in full.

Regards,
    JP

7. BOB

BOB Guest

RE: Slow ticking timebomb. . .

CANDICE, I HOPE YOUR TAKING ALL THIS ADVICE SERIOUSLY!! AS MOMOF3 SAID THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE WORSE IT WILL GET. SO PLEASE TAKE
    ALL THIS ADVICE AND ACT ASAP. AND GOOD LUCK
    BOB