Steven Z - Help

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JacquiG, Jul 6, 2000.

1. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Hi Steven,

Yesterday in the mail my son received two pre-approved (arrgh!) Visa apps from Associates. I think we've done this before, but I checked the back and it had the 'we checked your credit file' statement. Now since he's only 12 and should have no credit file, this is beginning to bother me. Is there any way I can request a credit report from the CRAs or are they just going to say 'oh no, that can't be...he's too young, go away'? I'm starting to wonder if someone (his father, maybe) has used his SSN or his name for something. Advice?

2. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: They sent a Pre-approved P

No need to tell the CRA's anything, at least initially.

You could start first by requesting his files via the CRA's automated system. If this turns up positive then you have to plan your next steps. Or your request may be refused because the address (of your son) is not listed correctly (sound the alarms, sure sign of either identity theft or possible misuse by your ex-spouse or ..), oh well no sense worrying until then.

Of course the most likely case is that some loser mis-keyed your son's info on some data marketing list (and their just lying about checking the credit file) and this is the result, believe me this happens everyday.

3. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

RE: They sent a Pre-approved P

Thanks for the response. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about - I'll try to get his report and see what happens.