Stolen Wallet.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, May 2, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Thanks DAVe(s) and hurricane,

I will hold off on the fraud stuff. If they are as lucky as me they will get denied by the TU report....lol

I have called everyone except spiegel...they are next. I am so tired.

So far the only account that was used was capital one. This person had access to alot of money. I was too irresponsible and I wont make that mistake again. believe it.

I will probably have to drive to Fort Dix and get another Military ID on Saturday. Ugh.

I will have to take off work and get another drivers license as well.

I had this in my wallet :

Citibank (2), Chase MC, Chase Debit card, First Union Debit card, Sovereign Bank Debit card, Household gold card, GM Mastercard, capital one gold card, providian classic, providian mastercard, target, victoria secrets & spiegel. Luckily only capital one was used so far.

I still have to call providian tomorrow about the other account. Everyone else besides spiegel has been called.

I feel like a fool. I went shopping on Saturday and just had to have all my little cards handy...yikes. what a mistake.

I was suppose to buy a new coach wallet and bag today after work...what a joke..

now for spiegel..

roni

2. CR

CR Well-Known Member

Hi Roni,

Sorry to hear about your wallet. I've been through that twice. I was fortunate though, I was able to head them off at the pass; nothing was ever charged on our accounts.

As far as the fraud alert on your credit report, it's a small price to pay for the security of knowing that any transaction made through your credit report will be verified (I would definitely ask for this). I work for Social Security. You can not imagine the horror stories we hear about people who did not notify the credit bureaus only to find out later that accounts were opened they were not aware of.

I'm a rookie on this board, but I do have one piece of important advice: DO NOT CARRY YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD (or anything that might have your number on it) if you can help it. The only time you typically need to show the card is when completing your taxes and for employment. Other than that, leave it at home with your important papers. I always carried mine with me UNTIL I started working for SSA.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the nightmare ends quickly. No one knows more that I do what a crappy feeling it is. Here's hoping tomorrow is better.

CR

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

right.

i had my military Id on my b/c i had to present my IDs for my new job which officiallly started on monday.

roni

4. CR

CR Well-Known Member

Roni,

Great way to start a new job (ugh! Don't you just want to hit somebody?). I feel your pain!

Take care,
    CR

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Roni,

If you have renter's insurance you can probably file a claim for the cash and earrings that were stolen. It covers situations such as this.

breeze

6. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

This is definetly a good idea...You may want to check your policy regarding the jewelry...When I was renting, I remember having to add a "rider" to my renter's insurance to cover my wife's wedding band and diamond studs....

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, but unfortunately. I dont have renters insurance. UGH! But I will live. LIve and Learn that is.

roni

8. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

I know how ya feel. My wallet was stolen May 2000 at a fitness club out here in Vegas. It sucked really bad, because I had to get all new cards. I was a fool and also had my SS CARD in it too. Never again.

You may want to file a police report. That's what I did just in case someone ever tries to use youridentity, it's on record that your wallet was stolen. Good luck with the recovery...

PastVictimNVegas

9. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Miltary ID

sorry about your wallet roni!

As for your military ID, yes it's got your SSN on it. If at all possible notify your unit commander and the MP/Provost Marshal's office for your assigned base--otherwise there is some procedure where you can notify the nearest military facility and they can liaise for you.

10. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

My house was robbed about 5 years ago...they shopped at our house over about 3 weeks (we had two homes and I was on vacation) we even had someone checking on our house who lived on the property..he worked nights and as soon as he left, they shopped. They literally went through everything the I owned in the house.....credit statements, bills, letters, etc....apparently they didn't find the extra credit cards till the very last and fortunately I could cancel them all before harm was done.
    Now...the rest of the story:
    My husband was in Tucson on business at the time, having a great time, charging everything in sight---you know business trips--dinners, drinks, drinks, drinks...lol...well, I had to cancel all the cards since they had access to all the numbers, etc. I think he had about $6.00 to get back home on (6 hour drive)
    :)
    AnnMarie

11. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

Roni:

I'm so sorry about what happened. Luckily, a new Mil ID is the simplest thing to get. If you are in the Air Force, just call the SP Squadron and report it stolen and go to CBPO tomorrow and get a new one.

12. the other

the other Well-Known Member

This is all the more reason why institutions (likes schools, military, etc) should not use SSN as identification number. You student id should NOT be your SSN, your military id should NOT be SSN, etc.

SSN were never intended to be used this way.

13. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Man Roni....I feel for you!

You should check your banks regarding the debit cards. My bank (Watch-over-ya, oh, I mean Wachovia), if someone steals my card and uses it, I'm only liable for $50. They eat the cost of anything else and credit my account for anything over $50. So PLEASE check with your banks.

For anyone, if your DL or any other card uses your SSN as your ID number, you can request a different number be used. I know back in college, my roommate bragged about how her DL# was her SSN. I thought that was dangerous. In MI, your DL# is some algorithm based on your last name. Sure, it was like 16 digits and impossible to remember but it wasn't my SSN.

Hopefully they don't use any other cards or try to open credit in your name. And yes, you probably will have to give up the instant credit thing but in the long run, it'll be worth it.

Keep your head up,
    Shantel

14. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

First, file a police report. You will need an official record of the theft. Do not let the police department try to talk you out of this. File a fraud alert with the bureaus immediately. Do this in addition to cancelling all credit cards. Be prepared to be hyper-vigilant in monitoring your credit reports for the next two years at least. (Even with the fraud alert, Cross Country still opened an account for either the thief or the person to whom he or she sold the info.)

I had a wallet stolen in 1988. I live in Los Angeles so not only was my credit info used, but my SSN and DL number were sold to illegals so that they could get jobs. I still get notices from time to time from the IRS and State Franchise Tax Board about unreported income. The police report is absolutely necessary to prove that the wallet was stolen.

15. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Roni,

Why do you carry so many credit cards? I only carry my American Express, and my license.

As for your military ID and SS# takes steps to ensure you do not become the vitim of identity fraud.. If you do become a victim, good, and bad will come of it..

Bad: Hassle of changing everything

Good: New SS#

Where do you work anyway? Stolen purse? Doesn't sound like a nice environment :(

16. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

THATS UTTER NONSENSE! OFFENSIVE as well!
    -Dave

17. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Roni. My brother lost my wallet two weeks ago. I cancelled all of my cards and then he shows up a couple days later with it in his hand. At least I know nothing was stolen.

Mike G.

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NO ID OF ANY KIND EXCEPT A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD SHOULD HAVE A SOCIAL SECURITY # ON IT...

JUST MY OPINION.

19. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I agree 100% George!

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warnings and advise guys. (Just got home from work)

I am extremely hesitant to put a fraud alert on my credit file. After all the repairing I have done, it feels like a step backwards. I am like what if the person just wanted the $100 cash I had in the wallet and then just trashed it.

I found out today that the charge on my capital one card was validate. It was for a catalog purchase that I made last week which didnot ship until yesterday, so they billed me yesterday (ironically). The girl at capital one could not tell me who the charge was to last night, but it makes sense now when I called today.

None of my cards were used. All 3 debits cards were unused, thank the lord.

I will file a police report tomorrow. I dont even know where to go in Philadelphia for that.

As for the comment about where I work, I guess that is a valid point. I work in a community health clinic. I have an office in the back of the clinic but patients are able to walk around. I should keep my office locked at all times, but yesterday morning there were no patients when I arrived for adminstrative purposes. Looks like a co-worker robbed me. My office was locked all day today...hehe...But that is a mute point because I have no money or credit cards...lol

I take all of your advise to heart and I really appreciate it...

roni