store cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eam, Nov 27, 2000.

1. eam

eam Guest

OK, I am fixing my credit, got both providian w/ $2000 limit, cap one w/ $500 and a very good job that allows me to pay for it. I want to keep those card open for an emergency but want to get xmas presents. Are there any stores that are easier to get with damaged credit being rebuilt? Like Target or other inexpensive stores. Thanks!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PENNYS
    SEARS

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SORRY JC PENNEY spelling error
    need spell check on this site for the "SPELLING POLICE"

4. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Target

Target is an easy one to get also.

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Very good. Voluntary compliance is always the best way to enforce cultural standards. Just enjoy using the message board and then correct what needs to be corrected after the fact.

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Sears has proven difficult for me to get, even with my Trans Union report, which is almost perfect. More about that later.

I think Target and JC Penney would be fairly easy to get, but unfortunately for me Target pulls Experian in Arizona. That report has an old chargeoff falsely redated to March of this year, as well as 11 inquiries within the last year, 4 of them false. With that garbage in, the garbage out from Target was a decline letter.

My Target experience could indicate the limits for obtaining even the easier retail cards. Good credit for about a year may be necessary.

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i agree. its sometimes harder to get a store card (target declined me in writing the same day i got my $4K citibank AA), than to just get a normal visa these days...
    go figure.. the interest rates and poor credit lines of store cards don't make it worthwhile in my book.. I gave up on them a while ago.

Concentrate your efforts on the decent sub-prime and prime cards and steer clear of store cards.

The only redeeming factor for store cards, i can imagine is the 10% instant credit discount if your are buying a decently sized big ticket item :)

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Good points. Another redeeming factor would be the decent interest rates, usually about 21%, without any annual fees. Given something I already want to buy anyway, I would rather buy it on a Target or JC Penney card than on my Providian card at 24%.

I think that retail cards, while of limited usefulness, are part of the transition from subprime to prime credit. That's why I want them, even though I often get turned down based on my Experian report. Wards in June, Target in August, Exxon in November.... Now that I know the reason, I think I'll try to fix my Experian report before I apply again.

Good to hear from you, Sam.

9. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are located, but if you have a Kohl's dept. store in your area, they are pretty easy to get. They have quality items at reasonable prices. Good luck!

10. Lisa

Lisa Guest

Spiegel/Eddie Bauer/Newport News

11. Saar

Saar Banned

sam wrote:
    "steer clear of store cards."

No need to go that far. Having ONE (no more, no less) store card is a positive score factor.

Saar