Store credit cards.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by William Wa, Jul 28, 2000.

1. William Wa

William Wa Guest

I've got a friend who is rebuilding her credit, and has recently received both the Providian secured and Direct Merchants secured. But she needs to have three positive credit references on her report in order to get approved for the apartment complex she wants to move to (Weird requirement if you ask me).

I was thinking that another easy one to get would be a store card, and was wondering what store cards are relatively easy to get and report regularly? Anyone with experience who can answer this?

2. James

James Guest

If she has had one of the credit cards for at least 6 months and all payments have been on-time, try Target.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Another one she could try is Macy's. They grant credit based on the credit on an existing Visa or Mastercard account.

4. James

James Guest

Doris,

Do you have a Macy's card? If so, did they run a credit check? Or did they base their decision solely on an existing Visa or Mastercard?

5. Stormie

Stormie Guest

wow thats a weird requirement I agreee, i've never heard of such a thing. I guess a security deposit and checking her refrences wasn't enough huh. Yikes, you need credit for everything now days no longer just a luxury.

6. Stormie

Stormie Guest

perhaps she might consider apply for the chevron card. She could apply for the basic card, then if she doesn't qualify they will consider her for their credit builders program. She can apply online or thru their 800 number 1-800-373-3277 try it, she should not have a problem since she has two positive refrences already. There a quite a few posts here about the program. My son recently applied and was approved. Good luck to your friend.

7. James

James Guest

RE: Chevron Question for Storm

Stormie,

After your son mailed in his app fee for the Chevron card, how many days/weeks passed before he received his card? I was also approved for the credit builder card. I mailed my fee in using a U S Postal money order. I mailed it certified so I know exactly when Chevron received it. Their customer service didn't know how long it would take.

8. michael

michael Guest

Remember though it will take a few months for that new card to report, so I hope she's in no rush!

9. Stormie

Stormie Guest

RE: Chevron Question for Storm

He hasn't recieved his card yet as this was just recently. The representive said it normally takes a few weeks after recieving your annual fee, to set up your account and order/issue your credit card. If it has been longer than this- I would contact them to see if it has been sent out yet. It shouldn't take as long for money orders as they are guaranteed payment. Keep us posted, hope it doesn't take too long. My son is anxious to recieve his new card too.

10. Stormie

Stormie Guest

they do report to the CRA's but I wasn't sure how often. I guess once every three months then ? It really differs between banks, some report monthly, some every three , would be nice if everyone was the same.

11. Doris K.

I don't have a Macy's card, but my daughter, who is cleaning up some very bad credit, got one recently.

While making a purchase with her Visa card, the clerk asked her if she wanted a Macy's card. She told them she did, and they got her an account number on the spot to make the purchase. She received a discount, and the card came a few days later.

Shortly afterward, a friend of hers who also has bad credit, applied online. She filled in her Visa card number as well. After a few days, she received her card in the mail.

My daughter's initial credit limit was quite small, but they increased it after she paid off her first purchase. I'm not sure of the amounts.

At any rate, I'm not too fond of Macy's. Their stuff is too overpriced for my tastes.

12. Doris K.

I think my daughter went overboard in applying for new credit in order to boost her credit score. Below is a list of the cards she's received after having completed some credit repair.

Target-$200 Limit
    Macy's-Not sure of limit
    Office Max-$750 limit
    Goodyear-$700 limit
    American Airlines Credit Card-$1500 limit
    United Airlines Travel Card-$1000 limit
    Ward's-$400 limit
    Exxon-$250 limit
    American Eagle Outfitters--$400 limit
    Radio Shack--$1000 limit
    Lowe's--$500 limit

The Office Max, Goodyear, Radio Shack, American Airlines, and United Airlines cards are from Hurley State Bank.

The American Eagle Outfitters, Ward's, Lowe's, and Exxon cards are from Monogram Credit Card Bank of Georgia.

Apparently she didn't have any trouble getting these cards, but she has been turned down every time she's applied for any store card offered through Household Bank even though she has two accounts with Orchard Bank.

13. William Wa

William Wa Guest

Thanks everyone. I'll pass on your sage advice.

She is really looking ahead, wanting to move in about 4-6 months. One of the leasing agents told her what they look for when they do the credit check, and she wants to make sure they approve her the first time. They won't reconsider for 6 months.

It's an nice, semi-expensive complex, but I still think the requirements are screwy.

Thanks again, everyone.