STRANGE PHONE CALL from the Fa

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I of course checked that site out and joined but decided not to pay 8.00 bucks for factors reasoning which i already know, it's on your merged report duh, anyway i received a call from them asking me how I liked the site and why I didn't order their service?? I told her that their idea was good BUT most people don't know their scores and the ones that do don't need the factor reasoning, they already know it and 8.00 to me isn't worth them putting your info on a fancy chart. Just curious didn't anyone else get this strange phonecall???

2. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Maybe.....

I got a call this afternoon from a 760 California call (from the caller id). They did not leave a message. Perhaphs this is Fair Issac?

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Maybe.....

well mine came up unavailable of course!

4. Eboni

Eboni Guest

RE: Maybe.....

I have privacy manager on my phone. An unavailable call will NEVER get through. They get a message and have to state their name.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Maybe..... Really how does

How does that exactly work, so in other words everyone has a phone number that can be displayed?? And how much does that cost, you get that from your local company correct?? Gosh I would love that I must get atleast 7 calls unavailable a day!!

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Annonymous Call Rejection

That's what it's called in CA. I have it cause I got sick of fools calling w/ blocked numbers trying to sell me something(ie AT&T, Mercury News, etc.)! I also got sick of the hang ups on my machine!

But....numbers that come up 'Unavailable' or 'Unknown' still go through....like when Citibank calls. I was told that some companies don't transmit caller ID info at all (ie companies w/ several 800 numbers). My friends company comes up as Unavailable but my company comes up w/ the name and the main number. My other friends company comes up w/ their name and her direct number!......not the main number.

7. Cadillac408

All residents and some business have a name and number associated w/ their phone. For residents, it's usually the name on the phone bill (you can call and have it changed to whatever your want! Mine use to say Foxxxy Brown but I changed it back to my first and last name....I called my boss one day and he was like, who's Foxxxy Brown?). I've seen people that just have 'private name' and list their telephone number (so if they have to unblock their number to call someone w/ annonymous call rejection, they'll only have their number, not their name).

Since most people have their number blocked (to not transmit caller ID info), they have to dial *82 to unblock it. You can also manually block your number by dialing *67.

8. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I think only Ameritech offers

Basically when an "unavailable call" comeup either by people blocking their numbers, cell phones or ACD calling from Companies (Bill Collectors ETC), they get a message.

"The number you are calling has privacy manager does not accept these types of calls. At the tone please state your name" or something like that. Then they can state their name like a collect call. The call then rings through to my house AFTER they have stated their name. Most Telemarkets bill collectors ETC will hang up once they get the message. If they say their name "Privacy Manager" appears on my caller id. I can accept the call by pressing "1" or press "2" and they receive this message "The person you are calling is not available" or I can press "3" and they receive this message "Attention, the person you are calling does not accept phone solitations. Please place this phone number on your do not call list."

Basically no calls get through except my friends and family!! You can give people a PIN to get through whos number comes up unavailable. I love it!! Now i can sleep late on the weekends without Telemarketers wakign me up. No Bill Collectors can get through either. It's heaven:)

This site will tell you all about it
    http://www.ameritech.com/navigation/site/1,1935,101,00.html

9. ryan

ryan Guest

RE: I think only Ameritech off

I have this and I love it...no more telemarketers! The only bad thing is that if you don't have Ameritech's Voicemail (which I DO) --- and you have an answering maching, it cuts off the first 15-20 sec. of your greeting. Other than that, it's wonderful!

10. Cadillac408

Wish CA had that....

Pacific Bell doesn't offer that elaborate of a deal (too bad!).

When someone calls me w/ a blocked number, they get a recording that says that I don't accept calles from blocked numbers and to hang up and dial *82 along w/ my phone number! My friend who works at Macy's can't call my house cause the Macy's phone won't allow her to dial *82 (since she has to dial 9 to get an outside line). That sucks!

11. ryan

ryan Guest

RE: Wish CA had that....

We have that to ....I think they call it "Anonymous call rejection"...and it's free. I think I pay $3 for Privacy Manager, but to not get woken up at 8am (after working nights), it's worth it! =) Ameritech may have miserable service, but they have some cool toys ;)

12. Eboni

Eboni Guest

It's a cool tool, but

I miss out on phone offers. But I rarely awnt them anyway. I'm very happy with the service

13. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

My telephone actually does the same thing privacy manager does (it has a special messages feature that gets played when phone numbers are blocked etc.) I Love it!!!! And I only have to pay the phone company for CID
    Kelly

14. Jim R.

Jim R. Guest

problem is ... ameritech sold your number to the people you want to use privacy manager on !!

(long time ameritech customer)... they are the worst for playing both ends... they sell your number and then they sell you privacy manager so you don't get the calls!!!

what a racket !!

15. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I used to be a consultant at Ameritech. I know what they do. I really got this because of a Debt Collector trying to collect on a debt that they could not collect on calling ALL day on Saturday and all night during the week. The telemarketers are easy :)

16. ryan

ryan Guest

Yeah, I know Ameritech sells their info. I work for one of companies that BUYS that info (a newspaper)...it finally dawned on me after I moved into my new apartment and got an invitation to try the paper with just my first initial (like my name appears in the phone book).

At least they've finally got the wait time to below half an hour for a phone rep!

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Annonymous Call Rejection

I have annonymous call rejection with caller id and caller id waiting...press *77 private name private number calls are rejected unless the do the code *82 + my number I LOVE IT!!!

"Privacy Manager" is available in Colorado (QWEST) WAS USWEST.