Strange Unusual E-Mail

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lbrown59, Sep 30, 2003.

1. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I got this E-Mail yesterday 9-29-2003

Sounds like a scam to me what do you folks think?

Hello l.brown,
    i am interested in buying(dodge trucks ram 50 1986)which cost ($2,895.00) for one of my client located in Holland first i will like to know the present condition and my method of payment will be by a certified cashiers check drawn in U.S funds this payment will be made by one of my contact in the U.S who is owing me sum of ($8,500.00) and you are to deduct your amount of car and send the remaining funds to the shipping agent who will come for the pickup,they are shipper who take care any of my shippment and my client is ready to send you the cashier check as so! on as possible.If that will be possible for you then you can provede your name and address including your phone so as for me to instruct my client to to forward the check down to you ASAP.
    looking forward to hear from u
    Thanks,
    Mr Benson.
    --

2. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Well-Known Member

lbrown59:

I'd like to know what you have to say about the recent post I submitted to you concerning a question that I raise about certified mail.

Sburch2
    Biloxi, MS

End Of Message
    09/30/03

3. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

I think... if I could understand what's being said, it could be a scam but I'm still scratching my head...

4. lynn112

lynn112 Well-Known Member

Hi, this is a scam.
    Heard about one exactly like it on TV. In the end,the cashers check you get left with is bogus and you are out a bunch of money.I would report this to local authorities,they may be able to set up a sting to catch these guys before they take anymore money from honest people.

5. sahlegian

sahlegian Well-Known Member

ITs a scam, go to www.scamorama.com and look up the Nigerian check cashing fraud. its a sister to the 419 scam. DO not do it. the check is always counterfiet and you will lose all your money and may be prosecuted by the bank. If you wanna amuse yourself read the section on scam baiting which strings the scammers along forever with dead end emails, and stuff its great. BUT DONT FALL FOR IT!!!

6. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

IF YOU ACCEPT THIS CASHIER'S CHECK - VERIFY THE ISSUANCE WITH THE ISSUING BANK!!!!!

Trust me on this - my branch has caught 3 fraudulent cashier's checks in the past 30 days (and we're a small branch!).

When you verify issuance, verify:
    - When the check was issued
    - Serial #
    - Account #
    - Dollar amount

and this next part is MOST important to avoid counterfeit checks:

- Designated Payee

Or, just take the check to your local bank and they can do it all for you.

A lot of ebay and other online sellers are falling victim to this type of scam because they ship out their merchandise once they receive a piece of paper that says "Cashier's Check" or "Money Order" when it is counterfeit, or had a stop payment made on the item.

Please be careful!

7. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Bring a copy of your email to your local bank as well. Each bank has investigation departments to help prevent and find people who try to do this stuff. Contacting your local police or fraud divisions will help as well if (and most likely) it is fraud.

8. sahlegian

sahlegian Well-Known Member

PLAIN AND SIMPLE its a scam. DO NOT ACCEPT THE CHECK the bank may even be fooled because the checks are counterfeit. and in 30 days they will find out when the issuing bank returns it as counterfeit. Shame on you for even thinking about this... DO NOT DO IT read and learn

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030228conartist7.asp

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I thought I answered this,but any way if you got the card back it proves they got it .

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

There was a SCAM from SOUTH AFRICA...

You were supposed to give them your account number and routing number for this $1,000,000 check that they were going to put in you account and then after two weeks you would get to keep $10,000 for SERVICES RENDERED...trouble is...THEY CLEANED OUT YOUR ACCOUNT INSTEAD!!!!!!!!!

The deal was a good one...because they came up with the deal that they were not US CITIZENS so they could not deposit the money...

BUT THE IRS AND TREASURY DEPARTMENT AND THE SECRET SERVICE AND F.B.I. AND THE US AND AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS...WOULD NOT ALLOW IT...IT WAS ALL FRAUD!!!

11. Big_Steve

Big_Steve Well-Known Member

You did answer it and BTW; the CA called me again today; wonder if he's seen my letter?

Sburch2
    Biloxi, MS

End Of Reply
    09/30/03

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

FORWARD IT BY E-MAIL IT TO YOUR ISP (SECURITY)

13. moneyelf

moneyelf Well-Known Member

Definitely a scam. Art Bell (veteran radio broadcaster) had one sent to him via e-mai, too and egged them on just to see how far they would go. This is the internet equivalent of the 'pigeon drop' scam. It has many forms but the same theme basically. E-mail is rife with scams. These little trolls get a hold of several e-addresses, send out mail in bulk and see who will bite. Most are from foreign countries (outside the U.S. I mean)-no offense to anyone from elsewhere (hugs) but re: criminal law stats/internet traces, this is a fact. Wish Art's site was still up so I could direct you all to this page but he handed another (great) host his chair now though, and Art is back on but only on weekends and totally new website is up. Anyway, these e-mail correspondences were sad AND hilarious, the absurdity of these guys!