Strangest letter from EFX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rhondak, Sep 19, 2003.

1. rhondak

rhondak Well-Known Member

I just have to type this whole thing. This is bizarre.
    Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your Equifax Credit File. We are investigating your concerns at this time.

We want to make sure you understand your right to have your concerns regarding your credit file investigated free of charge. Federal and State Law closely regulate all services of credit reporting agenicies. Therefore, it is not necessary for you to pay to have someone help you obtain a copy of your credit file or research any items that you question in your file.

There are entities engaged in what is commonly referred to as "credit repair". These companies charge various amounts to "fix your credit file". In many cases, these "credit repair" companies take your money to perform tasks that you can do yourself at no charge. Furthermore, there are no quick or easy cures for a poor credit history. If you have hired or are considering hiring a credit repair company keep in the mind the following:

1. Your credit history is maintained by private companies called credit reporting agencies that collect information reported to them by banks, mortgage companies, department stores and other creditors. They also retrieve public record information from courthouses.

2. These credit-reporting agencies can legally report many types of megative credit information, so long as such information is being reported accurately and completely, for seven to ten years as well as some bankruptcy information for ten years.

3. Information cannot be erased from your file by companies advertising "credit repair" or anyone else making these types of claims if the information is accurate and otherwise meets applicable legal requirements for reporting credit information.

4. The only information in your credit file meeting applicable legal reporting requirements that can be changed is information found to be inaccurate or incomplete.

(In large bold caps:)
    FACT: YOU DO NOT NEED A THIRD PARTY TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR CREDIT FILE.. YOU CAN CONTACT THE CREDIT REPORTING AGENCY FEE OF CHARGE AT THE ADRESS BELOW.

We hope that you will correspond directly with this office if you have any additional questions or concerns. You may send that information to:

Equifax
    PO Box 105888
    Atlanta, GA 30348

Thank you for giving Equifax the opportunity to assist you.

Sincerely,
    Equifax Information Services, LLC

So they didn't actually accuse me of using a credit repair firm. Strange, strange letter.

I just sent them a UDF to delete one tradeline and documents (letters) regarding another account I'm trying to get them to delete.

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Beginning to sound like they are banding together to make war on all of us :)

Ain't skeered here.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

IF YOU THINK THAT I'M TOO STUPID TO READ AND COMPREHEND AND DISPUTE MY OWN CREDIT REPORT...YOUR DUMBER THAN I THOUGHT...

COPY ATTACHED OF YOUR FRIVOLOUS LETTER

You still have 30 days to do the investigation...from the receipt of the CERTIFIED MAIL I SENT...you signed for it on XX/XX/2003...30 DAYS FROM XX/XX/2003 IS XX/XX/2003

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I thought that was a TYPICAL TRANS UNION THING

5. rhondak

That must have been a response from the letter I sent 9/16. (CRRR). That letter was about 2 collection accounts (actually duplicated - same amounts, dates, etc., only slightly different account numbers).

Just realized the next lettter with the UDF and letters hasn't gone out yet. Going Monday.

Oh, the letter of 9/16 also had an address delete on it.

Just noticed something else kind of strange. Their letter is also dated 9/16. Wierd.

6. rhondak

They didn't come out and actually accuse me of using a credit repair company (I'm not regardless), but it was almost like a warning or something.

They at least DID say they were investigating, so at least they didn't blow it off as "frivolous".

I did put in my letter that should someone "verify" I wanted the name and phone of the person, not the company, since I've already contacted the companies.

I also told them not to send me a letter telling me to contact the creditors since I had already done that.

7. rhondak

OHHHHH I get it now!

This was in response to a letter I sent on August 26th. They signed for it on Sept. 1st. I told them I had contacted the Attorney General and I said that I "would take legal action if necessary".

8. FedUp2003

FedUp2003 Well-Known Member

rhondak,

What is a UDF?

FedUp2003

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

UNIVERSAL DATA FORM

10. rhondak

That's the form they send in to update items on your file.

11. moneyelf

moneyelf Well-Known Member

That letter they sent was to try and trick you into distraction. Sounds like a first response, likely, if you are not sure which of your letters they are responding to. Yes, definitely remind them that the 30 day clock is ticking. And if they fail their duty as required by federal law then you have legal clearance to go onto the next step of demanding they clear your file NOW. They are just trying to delay is all. They think you will not know what they are doing.

12. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Why would you respond to this letter at all, much less remind them they have 30 days from xx date, when they say in the letter that:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your Equifax Credit File. We are investigating your concerns at this time."

No reason to respond to this. If they were refusing to investigate, that would be a different story.

13. moneyelf

moneyelf Well-Known Member

Hey, LKH :)

I stand (actually sitting, LOL) corrected. Or at least clarified. You are right. No need to remind them of the time limit. Just sounds like they are up to no good in some fashion. I am just so suspicious of every little CRA word in their letters.

All Is Well,

......the moneyelf