Student Cards VS. Regular Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rick, Mar 9, 2001.

1. rick

rick Well-Known Member

I wanted to throw out a question all of you. In your experience, Which card is easier to get- a student card or a regular card. I started going back to school this semester and campus always has a ton of student applications. In the past, I've never been approved for a student card, even when I had good credit, but have gotten regular cards.

2. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Student Cards VS. Regular

Student cards are much easier to get, require little or no income/ credit history. The tradeoff is that initial credit lines are usually smaller.

Saar

3. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Re: Student vs. Regular Cards

I was able to get a single Citibank card as a student about 7 years ago. Then I got turned down for other student cards: AmEx, Discover, B of A, First USA, even Dillard's. But that one Citibank card gave me the credit record I needed for preapproved subprime cards. The rest is history. I am convinced that if I had never gotten a student card, I would still be unable to get any credit cards today.

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Re: Student vs. Regular Cards

Rick,

My first card was actually not a student card, it was a Providian Visa card. I tried applying for some of the "pre-approved" cards that I got in the mail, but was rejected due to a lack of credit history. Providian called me one day and suddenly offered me a Visa card so I took it and it greatly helped me build my credit. Now I have 6 Platinums and one gold card, all with no annual fee and I owe it all to Providian, the only company that took a chance on me when no one else would.