student loan and collection agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by frankowes, May 18, 2001.

1. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Marci.

I'm not wanting to start any arguments or side discussions on the following issue, but I would like to see if you would be willing to give me the "chapter and verse" on the following you stated. I have another situation entirely that the information might be helpful in solving the problem.
    If they don't send you that letter 10 days before each draft specifiying the amount and date of withdrawal, then demand that they do, as that is a big violation of the FDCPA.

Again, I'm not wanting the info for argumentative purposes.

Thanks

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to have brought this up in your thread. My issue is not about who's advice gets taken. It's about my frustration with devaluing other people's advice in the process. I have been irritated about this for a few months, now, but I'm sorry it "erupted" in your thread.

3. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... I wrote a detailed post to you, but it got lost in cyberspace. In short, I received a letter from a law firm two months ago stating that they had successfully sued a former collection agency of mine (either Payco or OSI Services) for a FDCPA violation of not notifying people by mail 10 days before a draft was to be taken from their bank accounts. The litigants were a husband and wife (Gomez???) and I think they were from either Arizona or New Mexico.

I got the letter b/c the lawsuit was a class action and my share was $1.50. They needed to know if I wanted it.

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Marci

Don't worry about it. Lots of folks in this forum think I'm some kind of nut, and they just love to pick on little nuts like me. Also, I'm sort of new around here, and when I first came in, I jumped right in the middle of some people who have been very popular and seemed to have some pretty good ideas. And they did too. But in many ways, they were also wrong in what they were saying for one reason or another.

Although they had and still do have a lot of good ideas, many of their ideas simply didn't make common sense, so I've taken most of the silly ideas out of what they had to say and either replaced them with something better or just threw out the bad and kept the good. No matter how bad we may be, there is always a lot of good in the worst of us and a lot of bad in the best of us. We all have to learn the hard way for the most part. I've also learned a lot from other places and from the mix, I've developed some strategies that are simply mind blowers and are more effective than most people could imagine.

I don't mind the jabs of those who don't seem to want to understand that such is possible. On top of that, my choice of words is not always the best either. I tend to get pretty blunt sometimes, and that rubs people the wrong way too.

I guess maybe my 71 years makes me a little "short" with people sometimes. Whatever.

I tend to think that the only real reason that really makes my ideas work so well is that collection agencies and creditors and credit bureaus simply have not had all that much experience with people who really understand the law as well or maybe even better than they do. So they just go plodding along doing things the same old way they have always done them before the law was passed and once they found out that the FTC was a lot of bark and no real bite at all, they just relaxed and pretty much went about their business as usual.

All that has started to change now with the credit repair firms like Junum and Lexington and the growing popularity of the internet where people learn things so much faster than ever so new methods and strategies spread among the people so much quicker than ever before.

Another thing that helps a lot is that collection agencies and creditors alike have always been able to scare the daylights out of people and gave them a huge advantage over the debtor. They got to the point where they thought they knew it all and were kings of some sort. Once they have had to deal with some people who have been trained on the internet, they will start to develop methods of their own which will make life much tougher for those of us who are not interested in their bullying and are not going to stand still for it. It will turn into a never ending war to see whose strategies are the best. It will end up being a constant struggle to keep up with the latest developments

So, I guess the best way to go is to keep a stiff upper lip and a smile on your face no matter what and learn to look for a little humor in it all. Helps keep one from going off the deep end. That's why I actually kind of enjoy the jabs and barbs of those who decry my posts. Some of them get pretty funny and give me a lot of good laughs

So don't worry too much about me. I'm doing just great.

Have a nice day today and a better one tomorrow and enjoy the both of them in the best of health.