Student loan - Citibank

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Angela, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Angela

Angela Guest

I paid off a student loan. It has a "I" status not "I1" on my Equifax report. Is this hurting my credit rating. I know the "1" means no lates. I was never late. I am thinking about protesting this "I" rating. Any advice from you on this?

2. me

me Well-Known Member

You're fine.. 'I' simply means 'Installment' whereas a credit cards will report as 'r1' meaning 'revolving'... You can't get a better rating than an 'I1'...

3. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

I believe that she just has an "I" without the "1", just an "I". I have an account like that, but it is just an "R", it should say "R1", but I am guessing that it does no harm, because all the other info (payments, etc) are shown as being all good. I am not sure if they look at the R1, I1, just at the other info.

Dustin

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I was told that Sallie Mae, for example, doesn't rate their student loan accounts until 1 year of payments. You can rest assured, however, if you're late that your late payments will show up.

"I" is just the installment part. Looks like you're "unrated" basically. If I were you, I'd call your student loans and ask them about it. If you have a perfect pay history you can certainly ask them to reflect that.. (then, of course, followup by sending a letter to that rep reconfirming your conversation). You know the saying. "If it's not in writing, it doesn't exist".

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Darn, I have "I" rated loans too. It hadn't occured to me that these loans may be unrated.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

jim

Definitely Jim that is hurting you. Remember when I asked you to analyze your reports to see what was contributing to your lower scores. I think you just found one factor. "I" is unrated and someone at equifax was lazy and wasnt doing their job when they rated you that way.

roni