Student Loan Class Action Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bbauer, Aug 7, 2001.

1. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Uncle Sam Overcharged for Collection Costs

The parties have reached a tentative settlement in a class action against the U.S. Department of Education claiming that the department overcharged for the costs of collection of student loans. The class action alleges that, while many student loan contracts contain a limitation on the amount that could be charged the student for collection costs, the department charged many students more than was allowable. As part of the proposed settlement, the department is reviewing the collection charges actually paid by students on their loans. The department is sending notices to all students who have collection cost limitations in their loan agreements and may have been overcharged.

Although the court gave its preliminary approval of this settlement on December 15, 1998, the court has not yet held a hearing to consider final approval of the settlement. The settlement will not be effective until the court gives this approval.

The Student Financial Assistance Programs of the U.S. Department of Education are the largest source of student aid in America, providing over $40 billion a year in grants, loans, and work-study assistance.

Advisory Committee on Student Financial Assistance
    The committee serves as an independent source of advice and counsel to Congress and the Secretary of Education on student financial aid policy.

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Bill,
    Where can I find more information on this? I need to know when the dates are from. I mean, will I get anything for my student loans that went to collections. That is why I need more information.
    Thanks.

3. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

Bill,

I too would love some additional information on this. I have paid thousands of dollars in collection costs for student loans since 1995.

Thanks,
    Ed

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I do wish I could help.

That was a cut and paste from a newsletter I get from

http://www.classactionamerica.com

And that was all the information they reported.

You can go to their website and look it over, subscribe to the same newsletter I do.

That's all the info I have.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

http://www.gtctelecom.com/campaign/USJ4500001/residential/residential.asp

On the page above (classactionamerica)..."LINK"...5 cents per minute 24/7 (OUT OF STATE CALLS)...NO MONTHLY FEE IF YOU PAY BY CREDIT CARD...

$1.95 IF PAID BY CHECK...

CREDIT CARDS EVEN SAVE BUSINESSES MONEY!!!

JUST F.Y.I.

DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BUSINESS...MY POINT IS THE CREDIT CARD vs CHECK...

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Thanks George:

That's an excellent website and there is lots of good information on it from time to time.