student loan collection agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by KEML, Jun 28, 2000.

1. KEML

KEML Guest

Quick question - and yes I have browsed the FDCPA web sites and have found myself more confused. Is a debt collection agency that is handling student loans purchased from the government covered under the FDCPA? I am asking this to find out what my exact rights are as I deal with these people to come to a fair and affordable payment plan. thanks for all your help.

2. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

RE: student loan collection ag

The FDCPA directly applies to all third-party debt collectors and is adhered to by many creditors to avoid lawsuits.

3. KEML

KEML Guest

Jim, thank you for the information. The reason I wanted clarification is that in the web sites I visited, it did not state student loans. It mentioned car loans (secured), unsecured such as credit and consumer, etc. But no mention of student loans! This gets so confusing - you want to do the right thing without being harassed!

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

FDCPA applies to 3rd party servicers (collection agencies for student loans). However, it does not apply to the guarantor of your student loans. Sometimes people think the guarantor is a collection agency, but it is not considered so.