Student Loan Deletion Impossible?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by benkind, Aug 13, 2001.

1. benkind

benkind Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone's help but they say I'm still stuck!

Just got off the phone with Dep of Ed. Collections. They say that because I consolidated my loans i.e. I made 3 big ole payments and then the loans were paid off by the consolidator rather than REHABBED my loans i.e. made 12 smaller payments to them before I consolidated my loan--they will not delete my charge-offs!

"Sir, the only thing I would say that you could do would be to dispute the loans with the CRA's."

"I did. But you guys verified, now if you could maybe NOT respond..."

"Well, I'd say in that case that there is nothing you can do. Ever. You are stuck, Chuck. Plus, we're goin to report your default on your unborn son's credit too--just to keep it interesting. You ARE the weakest link! buh-bye!"

Well, he didn't actually SAY that last line or so--but he WAS thinking it!

My student loans are WHY my credit is bad!

Has anyone had any luck with simply disputing student loans away?

2. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Yes, Dept of Ed AND Sallie Mae both either dropped or changed to 0/paid on time by just re-disputing over and over.

Shawn

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

That's what happened to me. My loans were in default (3 total) and I consolidated through another lender ASAP! Next thing I knew, the 3 student loan trades on my report were listed as paid collections. Junum got 2 of the trades off my report but the last one WON'T GO AWAY! Always comes back verified. I called the CA Student Aid and they told me the same thing as you....SORRY! I don't get it. I don't know how Junum got the other 2 off but why I can't get this last one off is a mystery to me. I think? I am disputing it on line with Equifax for the millionth time. If it comes back verified again.....I'll just give it a break for a while then start the dispute process all over.

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Wait... Don't you "remember" when you were talking with the collection agency that they "told" you that it would drop off? Fight it on the fact that you had an oral agreement with the collection agency who was acting as an agent for the bank. You've held up your end of the deal by paying everything (wait for 12 payments!) and they should hold up there end of the deal.

If you can not get the bank to budge, sue them in the small claims court for the maximum allowed for breaking the oral agreement. Small claims courts can not force deletions, they only award money. If you really want to get their attention (or make a lot of money), sue for each student loan at each credit reporting company! I.e. 1995 Experian, 1996 Experian 1995, TU, 1995 EQF and laugh all the way to the bank.... (they'll settle!)