Student loan guru's

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nave, May 20, 2001.

  1. Nave

    Nave Well-Known Member

    I have a friend with 1 (one) student loand that is being reported wrong by TU and Experian and not reported by Equifax at all. On TU it is reported as "in collection" and Experian reports as "never paid". The loan has been paid (2 years ago) and My question is this:

    How should he go about disputing it? Should he dispute as "not mine"? or should he go to the dept. of ed. and get them to send a letter to that effect to the CRA's?

    Thanks in advance for the help.

  2. Erica

    Erica Well-Known Member

    I faxed a letter to the Department of Education on April 10, 2001, concerning a student loan that isn't mine. I still have not heard from then regarding this, but they didn't forget to send me a bill.

    I guess my point is, trying to get the Dept. of Ed. to send you anything in writing, is like pulling teeth.

    Maybe the best way to go is to dispute through the CRA's.

    Yes, I know that I'm telling you something different than I told you before, But I'll explain why later.
  3. roni

    roni Well-Known Member

    If you are dealing with the dept of education outside the ombudsman's office you are wasting your time. YOu need a particular ombudsman's counselor to work with. They usually get back to you. IF NOT they have supervisor's. IF necessary, I will give the names of THEIR supervisors to contact at the ombudsman's office. You might want to contact the dept of ed's legal team as well. They legal counsel was very nice and got up the ombudsman's offices butt when my phone calls werenot returned or my letters' answered.

    good luck erica.

Share This Page