student loan question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kyla, Jul 29, 2000.

1. tll

tll Guest

My ex-husband and I filed for bankruptcy in 1996. My student loan was placed in the bankruptcy against my wishes. The attorney handling the case stated that everything we had had to be filed on. I had been paying on my student loan for several years and he stated that it qualified. That was in 1996.

Earlier this year I received a letter from Sallie Mae (whom my loan was with) telling me that I was behind on my payments. I was baffled by this and after numerous phone calls I was told that student loans could not be charged off and the only reason that I was just now getting a letter was because the loan had been listed with the bankruptcy and as long as it was listed they could not contact me. I was really upset about this because #1 I didn't want it in the bankruptcy to begin with #2 it continued to accrue interest all that time and I was not aware of it. I had the loan paid down to about $3500 and now it is almost $7000!!!!!! I have tried contacting the attorney and trustee that handled this case and have found out that the attorney is serving time for fraud and the trustee is nowhere to be found.

I am still fighting with Sallie Mae over this. The person that I spoke to in the bankruptcy department told me that she would send me the necessary paperwork to file for a forebarence until we could figure out what was going on but I have yet to receive it but now I am getting letters stating that my loan will soon go into default.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. tll

tll Guest

My ex-husband and I filed for bankruptcy in 1996. My student loan was placed in the bankruptcy against my wishes. The attorney handling the case stated that everything we had had to be filed on. I had been paying on my student loan for several years and he stated that it qualified. That was in 1996.

Earlier this year I received a letter from Sallie Mae (whom my loan was with) telling me that I was behind on my payments. I was baffled by this and after numerous phone calls I was told that student loans could not be charged off and the only reason that I was just now getting a letter was because the loan had been listed with the bankruptcy and as long as it was listed they could not contact me. I was really upset about this because #1 I didn't want it in the bankruptcy to begin with #2 it continued to accrue interest all that time and I was not aware of it. I had the loan paid down to about $3500 and now it is almost $7000!!!!!! I have tried contacting the attorney and trustee that handled this case and have found out that the attorney is serving time for fraud and the trustee is nowhere to be found.

I am still fighting with Sallie Mae over this. The person that I spoke to in the bankruptcy department told me that she would send me the necessary paperwork to file for a forebarence until we could figure out what was going on but I have yet to receive it but now I am getting letters stating that my loan will soon go into default.

3. tll

tll Guest

4. tll

tll Guest

5. tll

tll Guest

6. tll

tll Guest

7. tll

tll Guest

8. tll

tll Guest

9. tll

tll Guest