Student Loan Reporting

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by TallSmith, Oct 7, 2003.

1. TallSmith

TallSmith Well-Known Member

I have searched the various threads for info on student loans as they relate to the credit report and if the loan servicer is governed by some federal laws regarding this issue.
    What I've got is a student loan with NelNet that's my DW's and she had a Ch 7 back in 98 when single.
    Now, I have written Nel Net about reporting this to the CRA as part of the BK but they have denied it is even being reported that way. After 3 letters, we wrote them a letter saying if it was discharged as part of the BK, we would just stop paying. They quickly wrote back and said it was not part of the BK...duh??? and to keep paying. This was sent to the CRA's and the idiots at Nel Net then verified the info they were reporting as correct! Go figure. So, what teeth are in the laws for me to use against Nel Net and the CRA's? Any suggetsions are appreciated.
    BTW the loan is and always has been current...even thru the BK and they show it as current but with a note saying included in BK.

2. jds71

jds71 Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem with Nelnet. They are verifying information on Equifax as being correct everytime I dispute it. They don't even mark it in dispute either. So I guess I've got them on two violations - verifying incorrect information (its blatant they didnt' even investigate) & not marking account in dispute.

The EQ report states:
    Balance $0
    Status $ Closed
    DOLA: 4/03

Correct info according to me & my NELNET STATEMENTS:
    Balance $909
    Status Open
    DOLA : 7/03 payment

I've called and called and they tell me they are reporting the info correctly and to fax them my credit report. UM NO!

I sent a letter through Planet feedback today- hopefully I'll get a better response than the CSR's on the phone. I'll post if that works.

3. TallSmith

<bump> for any fresh ideas?????????

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is this a loan guaranteed by the federal government? If so, I don't believe it is able to be discharged in a BK. I know mine wasn't.

5. TallSmith

Yes it is a guaranteed student loan thru Sallie Mae and serviced by Nel Net. I know it's ineligble for discharge thru BK......that is not what I am asking. What I am asking is whether or not Nel Net can be held responsible for their incorrect reporting. I have managed to get almost all other traces of the BK out of DW's CR, but this one sticks out like a sore thumb AND she has always paid it and continues to pay it on time. I have notified them by regular mail, CMRRR mail and EMAIL with only one response from them and that was that they would not ever report something as part of a BK because student loans are not dischargeable............DUH! But as sure as I am sitting here, it shows up every month as discharged in BK on her CR. The CRA says it's the furnisher of info......what now??????????

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like they aren't really investigating or verifying with Nelnet. One of the veterans of this board can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it may be time for an intention-to-sue letter. They're reporting incorrect info, and refusing to investigate or correct it. If it's a federally-guaranteed loan, there is no way it was part of BK. You may get a response to that.

7. TallSmith

Re: Student Loan Reporting BUMP

<bump> for any more help.......I need to take care of this sometime for DW since she asked me again today if I'd made any progress.