Student loans and trouble.....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Mar 28, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Remember my infamous student loans. Ugh! Well of course my student loans have all been consolidated-- All 22 of them. I have 2 perkins loans which I pay to an agency in addition to the 22 stafford loans. I have one of those loans which is from undergrad in rehabilitation to remove a 90 days late off my credit report. The loan was indefault but once they did all my retroactive deferment and I got the paperwork about the loan 3 months later it was late 90 days and they just told me to rehab it to remove the late and I will be done this October. That loan is now marked current on my credit reports. Well Guess what?

I have this scumbag collection agency calling me this week tell me that I am in default that loan which is for $2300 and $37,500 in stafford loans. Well, I call the department of ed and of course they say I am not in default of anything. NOt anymore. I went through this legal process painfully so about my deferments last year prior to consolidating.

I think this agency is in the business of purchasing debts- Bad student loans in this case. But my loans have been out of default for a whole year. How they can claim to own debts that I pay every single month to the dept of education. This is never ending. If I didnot know so much about student loans I would be in tears now.

For the record if anyone is wondering, I have an exact amount that I owe which accounts for each promissory note that I signed for every single semester of college and grad schools.

These people have sent me a letter only for the $2k perkins loan but not for the $37,500. MBA in Pittsburgh. Is it time now to get ugly and start filing suit against these thieves and liar. This agravation is something else.

roni

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Student loans and trouble.

YOU GOT CALLER ID??? (PROBABLY OUT OF AREA)...
    And the tape recorder to record the collection agency when they call.

Tell them when they identify themselves, if they do, that the phone call is being recorded for EVIDENCE!!!

:)

3. kb

kb Guest

Roni, we must be related. I am having somewhat similar problems with my student loans. I was 3 months late on my payments last year(stupid, I know. I was traveling out of the country and I thought they were being taken care of). When I got back I called and they put them in forbearance for the three months I missed so I could just start making payments again. So now I'm at the point where I'm trying to get them off my credit reports. Any ideas?

I agree with George about taping their calls, but make sure you let them know right away that you are taping the call.

Thanks for everything and good luck!

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

kb,
    Like I stated above, my lender has let me rehab my lates. You should call them and ask them to do that for you. Forbearance doesnot excuse the lates unless that did it retroactive which they mostly dont do for forbearance.

roni

5. kb

kb Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. When I got the forbearance they told me that it was retroactive to cover the months I missed, so I just started paying the current amounts due. I'm not sure what you mean by rehabilitation?

Thanks.

p.s. I wish there was a question I could help you with, I feel like I'm only taking and not helping.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Dont worry about that. I take (receive) alot of information from this board. It is all about sharing here. And no one is keeping tabs.

Rehabilitating the late payment is what I am doing. It is not in default. It is marked once 90days late on my reports and in Oct all lates are to be removed.

If you have not lates reported now, you dont have to worry about it.

roni

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I can relate...I have a student loan, never late, never in rehab, never defaulted (in fact, I am getting loans now for grad school). It was in my chapter 13 but part of the plan so not a problem, once plan ended, I went into deferment...I have made payments on it, always timely.

I just got a credit report that shows that it was "transferred/claim was filed with government" in the negative section and a "never late" positive in the positive section. Both have same acct. numbers, same lender (not transferred).

sigh..

8. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Roni,

Do you have a PIN number from the Department of Education? Aren't you
    with Direct Loans? You need to get a PIN assigned to you, if you don't
    have it.

You need to go to the National Student Loan Database Website:

http://www.nslds.ed.gov/

and print out the status of all 22 loans. It should read PD (paid in full default)
    for rehabs. It should also tell you the Servicer of the loan.

That is your proof re each and every disbursment being okay. I'd call the
    Ombudsman and tell them you are being harrassed by the collection agency
    and I'd also sue the collection agency.

I KNOW how frustrating it is. ASA has not updated one of my student loans on
    the NSLD website and it is still listed as a default after many phone calls to
    ASA. What's worse is that I have NO idea how to get the info updated by
    calling the database people myself. It seems only a servicer has access to the
    database.

:-(

Marci

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

i have spoken to the database at the dept of ed and they told me everything was out of default. That is why I know this company is crap. No one has called me since the other night. But if they do......Bam!
    roni