Student Loans have almost tripled!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by keltexx, Aug 24, 2001.

1. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Ok, here is my problem. I have about 40K in student loans. They just came out of deferrment. As they come out of deferrment, and into repayment, I now have the administrator, as well as the lendor reporting.

So this doubles my debts on my reports to 80K. From there, I have listings from the Lendor, in various ways on all 3 reports. For example, Experian lists the total amount owed to Lendor, another loan for just year 1, another for year 2, and now the administrative company (AFS Data Corp.)

I have read here about duplicates, but this is CRAZY! It looks like I owe twice (or more!) of the amount that I actually owe. Can all of these loans/lendors/administrators report at the same time? Partial and Total Amounts?

How best to dispute this? I have already tried disputing one of the lender partial loan amounts w/ Experian, who verified.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Write a letter to each of the credit reporting companies telling them it is duplicate information. Include copies of your payment book and a couple of recent (if possible) checks with payments. Be clear in that your dispute is that only the company that you are paying to has the account and that the duplicates should be removed.

3. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Thanks-good idea. Even more odd, the administrator is listed as "FIRSTAR" and I actually pay AFS.

I know that duplicate student loan info is common, but these mistakes can add up! I only probably owe a total (with my CC debt) of 50 K, yet depending on which report you look at, it appears that I owe as much as 103K!

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

welcome to the real world... LOL!

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Keltexx,

Speaking from experience, I just called and told them to delete the 8 other SL that appeared on my CR. They can obviously tell that they are duplicates. I personally wouldn't send copies of cancelled checks (gives them your bank info which is none of their business) or payment coupons (also none of their business). If you were to send them copies of your payment coupons and the payment indicated on the coupon was higher than the amount reported, you just helped them do thier job. Just my opinion.