student loans...HELP!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fingrrrl, Jun 11, 2001.

1. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but for some unknown reason, my student loan shows up twice on my credit report. The only difference is the second time, the account number is preceeded by 00. According to a creditor, does it look like I have $7000 in debt, when I really only have $3500? I'm worried. Can someone offer any advice or words of encouragement? Thanks.

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Yes, it does look like you owe twice the amount of debt, b/c they are reported as two distinct trade-lines. I had the exact same thing happen to me with a former servicer. They updated their computer system and modified the account numbers (the new number preceded my old number with NEA), which resulted in twice the number of trade-lines.

I disputed with the CRA's and luckily, they could see the obvious duplications and they deleted the duplicates.

To be safe, I would suggest calling/writing the servicer and demanding that they delete the duplicates. They should also send you a letter stating clearly all the the disbursements they service complete with account numbers and stating that they did modify the account numbers resulting in duplicates.