Student Loans

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kate, Oct 14, 2000.

  1. Kate

    Kate Well-Known Member

    Six months ago I took the medical waiver on my student lons because, I was injured working for the federal govt.

    They are listed on my CR as paid collections with a $0 balance and account closed.

    They are listed to continue on my CR till 7/02. Will these come off or should I look into rehabalitating?

    Thanks In Advance
  2. roni

    roni Well-Known Member

    They will come off in "02. If you start rehabilitation now, you will not be finished with the program until very close to '02 as it takes sometime to set up the program with the lender. Furthermore, since they cancelled the debt, it doesnot sound like you owe anything anymore so what are you trying to rehabilitate. Once they zero the balances thru consolidation and other programs you are not eligible for rehabilitation. Rehab is to rehabilitate the loans from their default status. It sound like your medical injury caused a cancellation of your loans. Therefore they are out of defualt now.
  3. Alwilda Sm

    Alwilda Sm Guest

    Dispute them with each CRA as not yours, and see what happens. What have you got to lose?


    roni wrote:
    They will come off in "02.
  4. roni

    roni Well-Known Member

    I agree. that is an option.
  5. Doris K.

    Doris K. Well-Known Member

    Don't assume they've been cancelled. Even if the negative lines come off your credit reports, these loans can still come back to haunt you when you least expect it and can least afford it.

    Whether or not they remain on the credit report, defaulted student loans NEVER go away. Rehabilitate it ASAP. Otherwise, you WILL someday find just how ugly their involuntary collection measures are.
  6. roni

    roni Well-Known Member

    I have thought about it some more. YOu should contact the department of education and found out the state of your loans. Doris K has a big point. This is sometimes confusing. And the in the end the govt will hold you responsible for your loans no matter what else happened. Call 1 800 4FEDAID. This office can tell you what the state of your student loans are. If they tell you that they are not right you should then call the student loan ombudsman office for assistance. This office is at 1 877 557 2575 just to make sure everything is as you think. Please let us know that you have seen our responses. If not I will right a message later, to make sure you read this posting again. Good Luck!

Share This Page